Running HDMI cable on dropped ceiling.

Old 06-18-14, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running HDMI cable on dropped ceiling.

Hi, I just moved into a new house and would like to mount my projector to the wall. The basement has dropped ceilings, so I would like to know if I can have my projector power cord, hdmi and home theater wires running through the drop ceiling, from the projector, to the wall were the pieces are connected...

Is there any type of tube that i need to buy and have all the wires/cords inserted in while on the drop ceiling? is it possible to do such thing, or are there any other alternatives?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-14, 11:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
Do you mean a TV.... like a flat screen on the wall ? Usually a projector gets mounted to the ceiling.

You can run your wiring above the drop ceiling. They don't need to be run in a tube but they should be hung from the ceiling so that the wires aren't laying all over the ceiling tiles. AC power cords should not be run thru the ceiling. You should set/install receptacles where they are needed to prevent AC wiring from running thru areas above the ceiling or thru the walls.

You can use staples, hangers or even better - cable ties with mounting holes. You put one screw thru the tie into a floor joist and they make a perfect loop. You can leave the loop large until you are done - then tighten them up and cut them off.

Name:  Cable-tie-with-mounting-hole.jpg
Views: 2082
Size:  7.3 KB

Old 06-19-14, 07:10 AM
PJmax, I apologize for the confusion.
Yes, I am mounting my projector on the ceiling (will drill the mount on the joist above the drop ceiling), and will throw the image on a further wall, which will contain all my devices... I understand the issue with the AC cord, so in that case, I would need to install an electrical outlet on the drop ceiling tile? Or do you see any other alternatives?

Old 06-20-14, 04:43 AM
In many areas it is against code to put a receptacle above a suspended ceiling. One option is to replace a section of ceiling tile with the plate below. It has a knockout for an AC power receptacle. It does not come with a backbox, however. The A/V cables can route through the pipe that holds the projector mount.

http://www.peerless-av.com/en-us/pro...roducts/CMJ455