Combining/splitting satellite and air antenna signal to 8 TVs

Old 02-22-05, 01:12 PM
mark22
Visiting Guest
Combining/splitting satellite and air antenna signal to 8 TVs

I just bought an old house, two levels and it is like a Christmas tree; coaxial cables everywhere from the air local antenna and the DirecTV satellite dish. I want to cut down on cables and also to get, if it is possible without video quality loss, both antennas' signal to all 8 TV sets. Now cables run two to almost every room (in the master bedroom, being pretty big, there are 4 coaxial cables- 2 in one side and 2 in the opposite side).

I would like to use 1 cable per TV, using a combiner for satellite and air signal and splitter for 8 TVs.

1-What kind of combiner should I use ( I saw at Radio Shack 5-2500 MHz or 5-900 MHz or something like that)?
2-Do I need the distribution amplifier ?
3-Are these for outdoor use?
4-What kind of splitter should I use?
5-If using the combiner leads do video quality loss, what other options I have to use less cables?

Thank you so much

Mark

Old 02-22-05, 06:09 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Keep in mind with Directv you'll need a receiver at each tv or all the tvs will display the same channel.

Old 02-24-05, 09:08 AM
mark22
Visiting Guest
Let me try be more specific; I will simplify a bit to 5 TV sets.
I would like to use 1 cable per TV, using a combiner or multi-switch or wireless or whatever device is better for satellite and air signal to be fed to 5 TVs.

I have 5 rooms with 5 TV s and 2 satellite receivers; I would like to have the following set up:

room 1- I have satellite Receiver 1, TV 1; need to get Satellite 1 and off the air (OTA) signals

room 2- I have satellite Receiver 2, TV 2; need to get Satellite 2 and OTA

room 3- I have TV 3; need to get Satellite 1, Satellite 2 and OTA signals

room 4- I have TV 4; need to get Satellite 1 and OTA

room 5- TV 5; need to get Satellite 1 and OTA

1-What kind of combiner should I use ( I saw at Radio Shack 5-2500 MHz or 5-900 MHz or something like that)?
2-Do I need the distribution amplifier ?
3-Are these for outdoor use?
4-What kind of splitter should I use?
5-If using the combiner leads do video quality loss, what other options I have to use less cables?
6-it is worthy using wireless video sender?
7-what multiswitch to use 3x2 or 3x5 (I can't run cables from multiswitch directly to the TV set, it should go to the receiver first is that right)? I can't find 3x2 which probably is what I need; a 3x4 will be ok?
8-how to hook up the devices/cables, the order how they go? For example if I am to use a multiswitch (MS), the order would be IN to MS from Satellite LNB 1, LNB 2 , and OTA antenna; out cable 1, to diplexer 1, satellite receiver 1, TV1; how to run from receiver 1 to other TV s?

I hope makes sense what I am saying here because it is complicated to me and for already a week try to figure out how to set this up.

Thank you so much

Mark

Old 02-24-05, 12:56 PM
B
I'll try to simplify it.

1. You don't need separate "combiiner" and splitter. Get the terk BMS-58 5 x 8 intergrated multi-switch. The "5" side is where you put the existing 4 cable leads from the satellite and the antenna lead. The multi-switch is mounted on or by the dish.
The "8" side is where you connect the 8 cables for your 5 tvs.

2. This only works with a multi-satellite dish (multiple lnbs). If your dish has a single lnb, you need to upgrade the dish first.

3. As stereoguy stated, you will need a separate satellite receiver for each tv. You cannot connect the satellit directly to the tv. Let me repeat that - you CANNOT connect the satellite directly to the tv. The tv tuner cannot decode the satellite signal!
You can run multiple tvs on one rcvr, but they must watch the same channel. If this is what you want, a regular cable splitter betweeen the rcvr and tvs will work.

4. No - the multi-switch will not degrade the signal.

Old 02-24-05, 01:23 PM
K
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
-----------------

Last edited by kuhurdler; 04-26-05 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-24-05, 02:44 PM
mark22
Visiting Guest
I thought that I made my post as clear as possible.

I have only 2 satellite receivers (NOT 5) and dual LNB.

I have 5 TV.

BobF

1. which 4 cables are referring to? I have 2 cables from sat 1 and sat 2 and 1 cable from OTA; total 3 cables to feed in the multi-switch.
The "8" side; I connect 8 cables for 5 tvs? Shouldn't I connect 2 cables to the 2 satellite receivers and from there cables to tvs as you repeat at point 3? It is so confusing.

Thank you again for all your help.

Old 02-24-05, 03:39 PM
B
I understood your post. But you'd be suprised at the number of people that think that because a tv is cable ready, it is also satellite ready. It is not.
Just wanted you to be clear on that.

A 3x4 multi-switch is what you want. You do not have to connect all output ends.

And do yourself a favor - buy a 2-tuner dvr. Hook up 2 of the 4 cables to it. You will be hooked in a few short weeks.

Old 02-25-05, 05:47 AM
mark22
Visiting Guest
I just looked at my Sony satellite receiver.

It has 1 input from satellite
It has 1 input for OTA antenna
It has 1 output for VHF/UHF/SAT.

That doesn't mean that the output would carry the satellite and OTA signals? So I can run a cable from this output out on the roof and split there to room 3, 4 and 5? And just forget about getting sat 2 in room 3. Of course I have first to split the OTA signal 2 ways to receiver 1 and receiver 2. So I will have 4 cables going in to the 2 receivers (2 per receiver (satellite+OTA)) and 3 cables out from receiver 1 carrying sat 1 and OTA. Is this correct? Now you know why I am confused? Because one option to carry both SAT and OTA was with multi and diplexer and now with this setting proposed here I am not sure if a diplexer is still needed. I mean the receiver getting input from sat and ota can function as a multi-switch and if that's the case do I need a diplexer? Thank you again for your help.

Old 02-25-05, 06:04 AM
K
---------------------

Old 02-25-05, 06:53 AM
mark22
Visiting Guest
The remote is not a problem is RF. But the other issue would be a problem. You mean if the sat receiver is on I can not change the TV channel and watch an OTA (ABC channel 7 for ex) program?

Old 02-25-05, 07:10 AM
K
----------------

Old 02-25-05, 07:25 AM
B
Buy the 3x4 multi-switch.
Attach it near the dish.
Connect the 2 leads from dish to mutli-switch.
Connect antenna lead to multi-switch.
Run one cable from multi-switch to rcvr 1.
Run a second cable from MS to rcvr 2.
Output from rcvr one to tv 1. tv 1 picks up both satellite and ota.
Output from rcvr 2 to splitter. output from splitter to tv 2,3,4,5.

This eliminates having to split the antenna lead to two rcvrs.

If you want to watch ABC on tv 3 while tv 2 is watching hbo, you will need to run antenna leads directly from antenna to tv 3.
This is what stereoguy and I was trying to get across earlier.

Old 02-25-05, 07:41 AM
K
--------------------

Old 02-25-05, 08:28 AM
mark22
Visiting Guest
So when using a multiswitch to mix the 2 signals actually I cannot see the OTH on one tv when the sat receiver is on. In that case it is the purpose of using a multiswitch?

Old 02-25-05, 09:39 AM
B
A multi-switch eliminates the need for splitting and running additional antenna leads to every tv. You can run one short wire to the multi-switch. The output of the multi-switch uses the wires you've already got in place (at least in my case). Otherwise, you are running duplicate sets of wires everywhere.

The multi-switch also makes changing the channel easy. The tv is always set to channel 3 and the sat rcvr handles all tuner jobs.

If you have indoor antennae, just hook it up to the rcvr and eliminate the multi-switch. But you will need an antenna for each rcvr or again, run additional wires.

Old 02-25-05, 10:01 AM
K
--------------------

Last edited by kuhurdler; 04-26-05 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-26-05, 09:21 PM
B
The MS eliminates the need for running antenna wire to every tv (at least every sat rcvr). Its just a short wire to the MS. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe he already has the dish and rcvrs connected. Why run more wire?

I also think the rvcrs can handle the diplexing, ie) just run the single existing cable into the sat rcvr and it will handle both the sat AND ota signals.

So he only has two receivers. He just doesn't hook up the other two ms outputs. BUT, if he ever decides to get a DVR, all he has to do is run a cable from the ms to the dvr and he is now set to record two programs. All new dvrs can record two programs at the same time if you provide two inputs.

Where we seem to differ is whether or not the sat rcvrs can handle ota on the same input cable as the sat signal. The newer models (in the past year) can. Also, you seem to favor running the antenna leads directly to the rcvr and/or tv. That is an option, but I see it easier to use what is already in place and not run additional cables.

Old 03-11-05, 05:40 AM
mark22
Visiting Guest
My receivers are Sony SAT A3 and B3 model 1997 I think. So do I need diplexers before the receivers? So when outputing from receiver to multiple TVs (from a splitter) do I need a diplexer before every TV? The TV # 2, 3, 4 and 5 will be able to get OTA even when the sat receiver is on? I appreciate so much all your effort to clarify this for me. I search extensively the net and most scenarios are hooking up SAT/ota to multiple receivers; I can't find for this case (which I think is simplier) hooking up SAT/ota to multiple TVs (using 1 cable per tv for most of them). Thank you so much

Old 03-11-05, 06:04 AM
mark22
Visiting Guest
Having only 2 sat receivers and needing to split only from sat 1 to more tvs can I use this set up? From my initial setup I will drop this scenario to get in room 3, Satellite 2 also (it is too complicated); so I will need only Satellite 1 and OTA signals in room 3.

split OTA in two;
(I will start with sat receiver 2 which is hooked up to just 1 tv)

--one output from OTA to a combiner (#TWO) inp 1; LNB 2 to same combiner TWO inp 2; output from combiner TWO (1 coax) to room 2 (tv2), diplexer, receiver 2, tv 2

--second output from OTA to a combiner (#ONE) inp 1; LNB 1 to combiner ONE inp 2; output from combiner ONE (1 coax) to room 1;
diplexer to receiver 1 (output to tv 1 using composite); output from receiver 1 (RF) , input in a 1-3 splitter, output from splitter to TV 3, TV 4 and TV 5. Do I need diplexers now before input in TV 3, 4 and 5?
On TV 3, 4 and 5 I will be able to get OTA even when receiver 1 is on?

Or a variance of the above using a multiswitch (LNB 1, LNB 2 and OTA in), out to the 2 receivers and the rest like above.

Please advise, does this set up is going to work? Thank you.

Mark

Old 03-11-05, 06:38 AM
B
1. Everything goes into the multi-switch. This eliminates number of cables to run to each sat rcvr. Its optional.
2. Run multi-switch to rcvr 1 and 2.
3. sitting next to rcvr 1 and 2 is a diplexer. Run lead from ms to diplexer then to rcvr. Do this for both rcvrs.
4. for the rvcr feeding only one tv, connect that tv to rcvr. Its done.
5. for the tvs feeding off other rcvr, take the lead out of rcvr into a splitter. run leads from splitter to the various tvs. Either get a splitter with enough outs or buy multiple splitters.

Alternative to number 1 and 2 above: Run leads from dish to each sat rcvr. Run leads from antenna to each rcvr. This eliminates the need for the ms and two diplexers.

Old 03-11-05, 05:28 PM
mark22
Visiting Guest
Bob thank you again for your expertise and patience. I think this is the last aspect that I am not sure of:

"5. for the tvs feeding off other rcvr, take the lead out of rcvr into a splitter. run leads from splitter to the various tvs."

Feeding from the receiver on one coax both sat signal and ota to other tvs, I will be able on any other tvs to watch ota even when the sat receiver is on? Or in order to do that I have to run separately cables for ota to any tv? Thank you again.

Last edited by mark22; 03-11-05 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-25-05, 01:25 PM
mark22
Visiting Guest
How to eliminate the signal leakage (egress) when modulating Directv and ota signals?

I plan to take the modulator approach and I read that you need to be careful in designing/installing the modulator connections to avoid signal to leak out from the antenna. How can I avoid that to happen?

PS

I use different threads because I think if I use the same thread people will not bother to look at, knowing that is old and knowing the topic. Any how after I am done and everything it will work, I will post all the details, maybe it will help other people also. Thank you.

Old 03-25-05, 01:44 PM
K
----------------

Old 04-09-05, 05:07 PM
mark22
Visiting Guest
Wow, almost done with my project; today after 3 hours on the roof I installed almost everything. OTA to 3 TVs, Sat 1 RF modulated with CE Labs 2000sd sent to 4 TVs +1 (which can use composites also). As expected I run I think in the amplif problem. The remote TVs that get the modulated sighnal from Sat 1+OTA have some herring (I think is called like that) interferance. Trying to isolate the culprit I left only the modulated satellite signal and still the same problem.

1-This would be the first question; why that interferrance? I tried many channels that will not have any active channel above or after (16, 37, 43 and some more) and the same problem.

2-I tried to use an inline amplifier and another problem.

I've got a Terk inline signal amplifier (powerless) and when I use it either to feed the OTA to more TVs or OTA+RF modulated satellite signal on 1 coax, the amplifier does worse than good; the image goes bad, bad. I tried simply from OTA antenna just to one TV and same thing. The instructions says that accepts input from Roof Antenna/Satellite/CATV and output to TV, VCR, SAT. receiver or Cable Box. Am I doing something wrong or this is defective?

Thank you.

Old 04-12-05, 07:21 AM
K
----------------------

Old 07-02-14, 08:39 AM
S
Lightbulb Modulation of a Satellite signal

Yes you are right, when you want to gain access to more than one tv by using only one satellite receiver, you will need to modulate the signal coming from the sat receiver. Now keep in mind that over amplification of that signal will cause distortion at the receiving tv (noise and ultimately picture loss). Breaking this down even further for the cable guys out there, take into count that a hotel has per say 100 rooms, they need to distribute a satellite signal from one receiver and their time warner cable to the 100 tvs. The company will not place receivers in every room and have a separate setting for CATV. They will have a Headend modulation distribution system that runs to a amplified splitter, then to each tv. We can take this a step further and look at Time Warner, Charter or any other cable offering company, of corse this is a larger scale, however same principle. They modulate the sat signal and program it to certain channels, local channels are programmed to specific channels. The distribute it through fiber and run it out to each community.
For a house you need to set the satellite up, run to the receiver, modulate the signal from Sat to CATV and then split it up to each tv in your house or known Transmodulate Satellite TV channels to Digital Terrestrial Television.

Take into count that CATV is easier and cheaper to split to several tvs, just remember that when you amplify the signal you need to determine the loss you will have at the receiving tv. Most houses don't require amplification, the run of the coaxial isn't long enough to reduce the reception.

Old 07-02-14, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Hello and thanks for the reply, however, this thread is almost 10 years old and the OP is no longer a member so will not read your reply. I'm closing this thread. Please start a new thread if anyone has additional questions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: