Anyone happy with internet TV?

Old 06-26-14, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anyone happy with internet TV?

I'm considering monthly high-speed internet at my cottage instead of way more expensive cable or dish to stream tv shows or movies. Pretty sure out in the boonies the service is via cellular router and I do get a consistently good signal on my phone.

I have a "smart tv" with several services like Netflix, Vudu, etc but no actual browser. Will I need a laptop with HDMI output to take full advantage of what's available on the 'net?

Any good/bad experiences I should be aware of?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-14, 01:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 264 Votes on 239 Posts
You say you think the high speed at your cottage would be via cellular. Do you have unlimited data? Most modern plans do not and you'd quickly burn through your data allowance streaming video very much. I would not even recommend doing it with a satellite Internet connection which also usually has data volume limits.

Old 06-26-14, 07:10 PM
I think cellular internet plans allow far more than phone plans. Definitely a question to ask.

Old 06-26-14, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Yeah. You will burn through a 4GB plan in about two movies. Your better off getting an antenna and going over the air if you want low cost.

Old 06-26-14, 10:05 PM
I agree unless you have cable internet or fiber optic service I wouldn't even think about using Netflix. I use Netflix and think it is great via my desktop I built for my living room tv. If you move though take the tv with you as you can use that by itself. Some but not all cable shows are on Netflix and some original shows as well as some but not all newer movies. So Netflix isn't for everybody but definitely is cheaper.

Old 07-04-14, 09:53 PM
In my experience, the built in TV apps are very slow / clunky. It was bad enough on my samsung (2-3 years old) that I would use a connected PS3 for netflix instead. A laptop will certainly give you more options because then you are not just limited to whatever app is built into the tv. About the only content that doesn't really have a good online alternative right now is live sports. Other than that, online viewing has been great for us.

A lot of boonies can get 3mbps DSL. Quality won't be best in the world but it works. Satellite and cellular service both suck unless you are using a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Here's hoping google will hurry up and deploy their low orbit satellite internet and hopefully go easy on the data caps.

Old 07-05-14, 03:53 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I agree with pondbound. I have a new (six month) Samsung and the Internet services are all but unwatchable. I have far better service using an old laptop with an S-video output. I DO have FiOS Internet service so it isn't the ISP.

Old 07-05-14, 04:58 AM
Joel how about those internet boxes like the Roku player and the more recent Kindle Player are those any better? I am really kind of interested in the new Kindle player box that Amazon.com has and think that might be good. I am disappointed that your tv doesn't stream online video better I was thinking that maybe our next tv might be a smart tv. My computer I built though still works great for the internet tv shows and I am happy with that in my living room but for my bedroom I would want something a bit quieter.

Old 07-05-14, 05:15 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I don't know how well the "boxes" work, I have never tried one. My cheap Blu-Ray player has an Ethernet connection and at least theoretically can access those Internet-based services like Netflicks, Hulu and others but I have never tried. I'm pretty much in the stone age of television in that I dumped my Comcast connection back in April (it was only the ultra limited basic service) and I now get only broadcast channels. I have watched a few network programs that I missed via Internet (through my laptop) and it was as good as the broadcast version.

Old 07-05-14, 08:22 AM
Received 36 Votes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by guy48065
I'm considering monthly high-speed internet at my cottage instead of way more expensive cable or dish to stream tv shows or movies.
If I Were You, I'd record TV and movies I plan to watch at home, bring those files on an external hard drive, then play them back at the cabin. If you have high speed internet at home, load up on movies there where it's easy.

If you've got a dvr, you may be able to copy movies to VRO/ MPEG2 format and bring them along.
If not a flash-video/youtube to MP4 downloader added to your internet browser would allow you to save online TV shows to files for viewing later.

As for live TV, I've used a laptop with a TV dongle, but now use a cellphone, the home TV app, and a 1080p HDMI out adapter to the tv. Check if your home TV/internet/landline account includes a streaming video app for your phone.
At home you'll be streaming over WIFI and get most channels, but most will work over the cellphone data network (if it's fast enough) and IF you have an unlimited data plan.

Now, my cellphone is with a different carrier than TV/internet/landline, but the TV streaming still works over cellular carrier data network. (Happen to have an unlimited plan).
Also, while I'm in the hills, miles away from any big city, I'm only about a mile from the interstate - so I'm within signal distance of a next generation 4g data tower - which means 8gig to 12gig data service over the phone.

Finally, you can likely check on the web to see what free digital stations are available around your cabin.

Old 07-08-14, 07:21 PM
My wife and I only watch TV via Netflix Hulu etc. We do not have cable/satilitte TV of any kind the only thing that we have problems with is even on Comcast 30mbps they have 300 gig data cap we burn though that very fast we are curently looking for an alternative to Comcast ourselves but they have the best speeds in this area.

FYI my setup is a vzio 3d 47' 240htz smart TV I agree the Netflix and Hulu on it suck that's why I custom built a media center running xbmc.

So I would say to do all of the above good ant for local over air broadcast and a laptop or mcpc as well as record things at home to carry with you. Because as it was stated before streaming TV burns data really fast. Hope this helps.