Wireless cable from one room to another?

Old 06-26-14, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Wireless cable from one room to another?

Have a dumb CRT TV in a spare bedroom. It's actually one of the transitional TVs that I got back in 2007on clearance. EDTV with a digital tuner included, short tube so it's not really as deep as most 32" were at the time. I only paid about $150 for it and it really has a great picture on non-HD broadcasts, so it's great for what it is. Of course it weighs about 80lbs I think.

Getting a hard cable connection to it will either involve me getting up in the attic and shimmying all the way to the back corner of the house (with my knees, not gonna happen) or coming through the exterior wall and having a long cable running around the baseboard (really prefer to avoid that). Only other option is to rearrange the room and come from the adjacent office, but that would really mess up the room layout.

Do they make any way to wirelessly send the cable channels to the TV? I know I can hook up a wireless BR player and get things like Netflix, Hulu, etc, over my network but would like to have regular cable available.

I'm not really sure exactly what I need. My actual cable box is about 70 ft away in the LR. I also have a wireless network, so I don't want to cause any interference with that.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-14, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 293 Posts
Yes, there are wireless sets and many even include an IR extender so your remote will work from the other room. What type of signal do you want to send to the TV?

Old 06-26-14, 01:06 PM
Google for the terms: Wireless A/V Transmitters & Receivers

try this link for one such:

RF-Link AVS-5811 5.8GHz Wireless AV Sender with IR AVS-5811 B&H

Old 06-26-14, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 521 Votes on 491 Posts
There are many iffy wireless products out there. Unfortunately that RF Link is one of them. I have tried several and haven't really found one I can recommend.

Old 06-26-14, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Just to clarify, ideally I just want the cable signal to be available at the old TV. The entire range of channels.

I've seen some of the ones that control the cable box with the IR extender and I don't think that would be really what I'd like. Not that it would be an issue most times, but if we had guests it might. I also saw that most of them in my price range used just RCA connections which is not really ideal I don't think.

I'll have to go check, might be easiest to just come through the exterior wall and tuck cable under the baseboard and behind furniture. If Momma decides she wants the room re-arranged, may have to look for a good deal on a flatscreen to put it on the wall next to the office. think I need to add an outlet then as well.

I guess what I really want is kind of an oxymoron..."wireless cable".

Old 06-26-14, 04:43 PM
Received 49 Votes on 42 Posts
I'm not really sure exactly what I need. My actual cable box is about 70 ft away in the LR. I also have a wireless network, so I don't want to cause any interference with that.
Eh, my first guess would be to look for some sort of video-over-powerline adapter online.

So, what video inputs do you have on the TV?

Idea here is, first, there are android apps that allow an old smart phone to stream cable tx just
like an auxiliary cable box.
Second, really new android phones actually support HDMI output.

So, yes, it is possible to used a smart phone to wirelessly stream video to a TV with a HDMI jack.

Combined those 2 tricks, and you can use a cell phone as a cable box

Old 06-26-14, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
Hmmm...it does have HDMI jacks (as well as componant and s-vid)...but wouldn't that affect data usage? And I (my wife actually) have a couple of older phones that might do that. But still...not feeding the full cable channels to the TV to allow the remote to select what they want, right? Needs to be changed at the phone?

I'm seeing a cable drop in my future, either by me or some local teen monkey boy.

Old 06-26-14, 06:05 PM
Received 49 Votes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunguy45

Hmmm...it does have HDMI jacks (as well as componant and s-vid)...but wouldn't that affect data usage?
Well, yes, it requires some data, but the idea is that you run it off the home wifi network,
not off the cellphone data. I haven't seen any all effects from streaming tv with a cable internte connection over your normal 54 meg wif.

And I (my wife actually) have a couple of older phones that might do that.
Well, my older is in cellphone years, (2-3 years old, running Android 2.3.2) will run the app to play video on the phone, and turn the phone into a wifi based remote that works on any cable box on your system, BUT they won't do the TV out over usb trick - that needs a relatively new phone running newer Android system.

But still...not feeding the full cable channels to the TV to allow the remote to select what they want, right?
Correct, not all live channels, but most.
However, what I find it useful for is with video on demand through cable,
more for watching tv episodes, watching a movie.
And also comes in handy for hulu or watching episodes online from CNN, ABC, PBS etc.

Needs to be changed at the phone?
Nah, I use a bluetooth media keyboard, volume button, play, pause stop, numbers etc.

I'm seeing a cable drop in my future, either by me or some local teen monkey boy.
Oh, if you DO run a cable, I'd check if your local cable co has an app that turns your phone into a wifi based remote to control the cable box. Makes it much easier than fooling around with IR repeaters or rs-232 inputs at the individual cable box.

Last edited by Hal_S; 06-26-14 at 06:20 PM.