Connecting additional cable line

Old 06-29-14, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting additional cable line

I apologize in advance for being too wordy, but this is my first time to post to a forum, and I’m trying to provide all relevant info for getting my questions answered. I have already done a lot of forum reading to get a basic understanding of how the connections work, but haven’t found a scenario to match our specific set up. I also realize that what I THINK I understand as stated below, may not be correct.

Here’s the current configuration:
There is a small flat rectangular unit with cables connected to it. This unit has 2 posts/plugs pointed toward where the cable comes into the house out of the floor. The cable entering the house is attached to the plug marked “RF-PWR TO AMP”. Next to that plug, on the same side of the unit, is another plug marked “PWR IN”, and the cable attached there connects to a one-post box plugged into the electrical outlet. Directly across from the first post, on the opposite side of the unit, is a plug marked “RF TV 5-1000 MHz”, and the cable attached there runs into the DVR cable box unit. Then our TV is connected to the DVR cable box.

Question:
Is that rectangular unit an “amplifier”? I know that the cable company DID install one initially to boost signal for improved reception on our second floor. It doesn’t seem to me that it is splitting anything, as there is just the main supply feed going to the unit, and then just one cable continuing to the cable box for one TV – i.e., no splits to multiple TV’s.

FYI: We do have 2 other TV’s inside the house, but they are not attached here. They both attach directly to a cable outlet at the walls where they are located. We currently have no problems with signal strength at any of the TV’s. (I hope this won’t change with the drain of the additional cable line…guess we’ll find out!) For our computer, there is a separate cable coming into the house that connects directly into the computer modem.

Here’s what we’re trying to do:
We have brought in a second coaxial cable up through the floor which runs about 150 feet in conduit out to a garage/workshop. We want to tie in this 2nd cable to the main supply feed so we can watch TV out in the garage. I believe we need a splitter, but don’t know what kind or how to attach due to our current configuration. If the current rectangular unit is an amplifier, I figure we need to attach this 2nd cable beyond the point of amplification. Do we simply change out this 3-post unit for a 4-post unit (i.e., 2 plugs on each side)? Would that be called a 4-way splitter, even if it’s not actually splitting the cable signal 4 ways, but only to 2 TV’s? I may be getting confused by terminology.

I would appreciate some guidance about WHAT hardware we need, and WHERE it goes in the wiring configuration. Thanks so much for any info you can share.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-14, 11:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 410 Votes on 385 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yes that is a dual direction broadband amplifier. They are usually one connection for cable in and one connection for cable out.(plus the power connection) If you wanted to feed two lines you would run the output from the amp to a two way cable TV splitter.

One line would feed the house and the other line feeds the new garage.

Old 06-30-14, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much for your reply, and I get the idea about what you mean. However, I'm still unsure exactly what I should use for that. Do I simply get a two-way splitter (not amplified) and attach that with a short cable to the one output plug on the existing amp, and then attach both cable lines to the other side of the splitter? Or could I get a new dual direction amplifier that would have two output posts for both lines? Is there such a thing? Thanks for the additional info.

Old 06-30-14, 07:09 PM
Received 24 Votes on 24 Posts
The other two TVs each connected to a cable outlet (one post each) on the wall -- how is the cable TV cable coming into the house connected to them?

How many TVs does your cable company allow you to connect up and be turned on at the same time?

Old 06-30-14, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 410 Votes on 385 Posts
Do I simply get a two-way splitter (not amplified) and attach that with a short cable to the one output plug on the existing amp, and then attach both cable lines to the other side of the splitter?
That is exactly what you do.