Indoor antenna's for my receiver

Old 07-26-14, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Indoor antenna's for my receiver

Can I use a powered indoor antenna made for a TV, on my receiver ??

I live in a single story apartment complex. The reception here is horrible for TV's and receivers alike. Unless your connected to cable television, which I'm not.

Would I benefit from the use of a powered antenna on my receiver ?? Will it be safe to use on my receiver ??

Thanks.....

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-14, 02:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What "powered indoor antenna" did you have in mind? I have installed regular TV antennae in attics mounted upside down for adequate reception, where HOA or other rules prohibited normal outside installation. Is your TV adaptable to the new over=air reception?

Old 07-26-14, 03:45 PM
I have a powered RCA TV antenna. By powered, I mean it has the square antenna panel that get's placed in the best spot for reception. Then it has the power supply, that gets plugged into an electrical outlet, that must boost the signal from the antenna to the TV.

I am guessing there's something nearby that is causing the bad reception we get here, IDK ??

My apologies if I haven't made myself clear as to my intentions. I am asking if it is OK to use the powered TV antenna, on my "stereo receiver," which also gets lousy reception....

I don't know if the TV antenna can be used on a stereo receiver ?? If it will give any reception, or better reception ?? And is it safe to use this way, and not damage my receiver ??

Old 07-26-14, 07:04 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
While it should not hurt to hook it to your stereo, I doubt that it will improve your signal much. FM is roughly 88 - 108 Mhz or VHF band while most TV channels are now running in the UHF frequencies. The TV antenna is not tuned to FM frequencies.

Old 07-26-14, 07:18 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
When you write it is for your stereo receiver I assume that you mean for FM radio reception. While some TV antennas will pick up FM radio broadcasts most are not optimized for that service. You should be able to get a simple FM dipole antenna that IS optimized for FM radio for less than ten dollars at a Radio Shack store.

That stated, no, the powered TV antenna will not hurt the receiver but it may not help either.

Old 07-26-14, 09:34 PM
OK, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks for your replies !!

Old 08-07-14, 05:55 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
Rabbit ears work fine for U.S. FM radio (the typical stereo receiver or A/V receiver). If the instructions are detailed enough, adjust it for Channel 6, which should be approximately 30 inches for each ear. Usually the best reception is had with the ears horizontally out to the sides.

The FM radio band is very close to TV channel 6.

By the way, UHF TV channels (about 95% of U.S. stations nowadays including those with names 2-13) are received by the ring or bow tie that comes with the rabbit ears, not by the ears themselves.

A booster can be used with rabbit ears. Rabbit ears are superior to a one foot square box antenna for FM radio.