Proscan TV power problem

Old 07-29-14, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Proscan TV power problem

A friend of mine has a Proscan flat screen TV-I'm unsure of the model but this is a fairly general question (I hope). The set is two years old so no warranty.

The problem:

Everything was working fine until yesterday. She hit the power button on her remote and the TV did not power on. The red "stand by" light was still on so the set was getting power. Assuming bad batteries, she got up and pressed the power button on the cabinet. Still nothing.

What have I/we done:

Tried disconnecting power and holding the power button for about 20-30 seconds. After reconnecting power, the set still would not come on. Eventually, after "messing with it" which I assume means alternating disconnecting and reconnecting power and randomly hitting the power button, it DID finally come on when the button on the cabinet was pressed. The remote WOULD turn it off at this point but not back on.

I suspect, in order, the following components:
1. The power switch assembly
2. The main/motherboard
3. The power supply-long shot but it might not delivering enough power.

Thoughts, ideas, links to part order, etc. would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-14, 12:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's not going to be the power switch.
Is this something you are going to open up and troubleshoot ?
You will need a service manual and a meter..... otherwise you could just order the power supply board for maybe around 75.00 and risk it as being the problem.

Without a model number I can't give you any exact information.

Basically the same issue as in this thread.....http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ho...s-turning.html

Old 08-11-14, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can get the model number, I just don't have it handy at the moment. The TV is at my friends house and I haven't been over there since the day before I posted this.

She told me a few days ago that she has been doing some checking and she believes it may be the power supply board as well so she is going to order one and (this is where she starts using the word "we" a lot for some reason) we are going to crack the set open and put the new PS on to see if that fixes it.

Old 08-11-14, 10:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Well....... when "we" get it fixed.... stop back and tell us.