Speaker volume control or not?

Old 09-08-14, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Speaker volume control or not?

I am installing a 5.1 speaker system with two rear ceiling mounted speakers. I Would like to be able to adjust the front and rear speaker volume independently of each other. That way if I think the rear speakers are too loud, I could turn them down slightly without affecting e entire system. And vice versa for the from speakers.

I found a product that you install on the wall called a speaker volume control, but was wondering how many of these things do I need to install. Also, they are kinda ugly and I don't want any extra knobs on the wall if I can adjust front/rear speaker volume independently some other way. What do most people do?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37923[/ATTACH]
Speaker Volume Controller RMS 100W (Rotary Type) W/ IR Function - Monoprice.com

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-14, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
You can turn the rear channel down in setup mode. Usually once set up correctly the rear/surround speakers track with the front ones correctly.

That control has an IR (infra red) repeater function which you don't need. You could buy a similar control to the one your are showing in stereo and then put it somewhere near your receiver.

This one is all you need... Speaker Volume Controller RMS 100W (Rotary Type)

Last edited by PJmax; 09-08-14 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-08-14, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a surround sound amp that you can't adjust the volume independently. Normally it's kind of set it and forget it after the sound is balanced, but you can still go back into set-up to do it.

Old 09-08-14, 10:18 PM
Oh wow. My receiver is soooooo old. We're talking 1990s here. I don't have a way on my piece of junk to adjust the front/rear speakers independently via the receiver. I guess I'll start shopping around for a new receiver too. So, the software settings for the receiver will allow me to independently adjust the front/rear speaker volume?

If I do decide to get that ugly volume control knob, do most people have it setup so that turning down the volume control knob turns down the volume of all the speakers? If so, then why not just use the remote control for the receiver and turn down the volume for all the speakers?

Old 09-09-14, 08:45 PM
I've never seen anyone use nor have I been requested to install a wall volume control in a surround sound system.

This type of wall volume control is typically used in whole house or whole area audio systems, where music (etc) is piped into various rooms of a home or areas of a business. These type volume controls allow the users to control the speaker volume in these areas. Surround sound systems including Receiver/amplifiers allow for controlling/adjusting the volume of the front, center, surround, rear and
sub-woofer(s) Once you have your surround sound system set up and balanced it is hardly ever necessary to adjust the individual sets of surround sound speakers.

Old 09-10-14, 02:27 PM
Ahh Jimmiee thanks for the clarity. I'm going to skip the volume control and go out and get a more modern receiver. Thanks again everyone.