looking for Sanyo crt

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-14, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
looking for Sanyo crt

I dont like flat screens and am trying to find a couple of used Sanyo crt TVs that I saw and liked.
One was a 26 inch crt that had a very slim side profile...the slimmest I have seen in a tube tv
and the projector in the back was quite slim too. Of course they are not made anymore.
I also want a 22 inch version of the same tv.
If anyone knows where I can find these for cheap please post here,thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-14, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I can answer that. The only place you will possibly find ANY crt TVs for sale is in a used TV and appliance place, TV repair shop, or maybe a thrift store. Many thrift stores don't even take them anymore since they don't sell and are sometimes a pain to dispose of, depending on where you live.

Old 09-11-14, 02:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Maybe eBay as well - that's about all I got for hits with a Google search.

Old 09-12-14, 07:39 PM
I agree it is going to be next to impossible to find a crt tv. One of the main reasons is that they have lead in them as well as other hazardous materials not to mention their heavy weight which most people don't want to deal with anymore. I found an old Washington Post article which kind of sums it all up Left in the Flat-Screen Dust . I too used to like the old crt tv's but I wouldn't trade my flat screen for a crt tv for any amount of money. I wish you luck though in your search.

Old 09-13-14, 05:38 AM
May I ask why you don't like flat screens?

Many people like the look of an NTSC (non-high def) picture on a tube because its "softness" hides the flaws in the NTSC system.

On a cheap LCD or LED flat screen, NTSC can look horrible because all of its flaws are accentuated. The result is a pasty, color-bleeding, noisy picture with hums and buzzes in the audio.

The better LCD, LED and plasma TVs have processing components (line doublers, scalers ...) to make the NTSC picture look pretty good.

Old 09-13-14, 07:17 AM
Received 20 Votes on 20 Posts
Or get a "small," say, 20 to 25 inch, flat panel TV. The shortcomings of NTSC will be less noticeable.

You might want to go a little larger, say, 30 inch, so that the more squarish NTSC picture will be at least the same height as on a 25 inch CRT.

To test the NTSC performance of a TV set including a flat panel, use a DVD player and connect it using the yellow/white/red RCA jack clusters. (The yellow jacks must be connected using a yellow or green plug cable.) Beware of serrated edges or graininess where stationary differing otherwise straight edged color patches meet side by side or one above the other. That is a notable shortcoming in cheaper NTSC circuitry that may exist even in modern TVs. Also,differing color patches one above the other should not have a thin discoloration in between although this is harder to see because that discoloration may have been in the source material. NTSC always has discoloration between side by side color patches.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-13-14 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-13-14, 01:50 PM
To the OP: are you sure it's a Sanyo you're looking for. I don't recall Sanyo building any slim CRT TV's, but Samsung did have a "Slimfit" CRT model a few years ago, that had a special CRT which was quite a bit slimmer than regular CRT's. I'm also a CRT hold-out, as I bought several new TV's ten years ago, and they're still working well. You can hardly even give away a CRT TV anymore, and I hate to junk a perfectly good CRT TV that probably has another ten years of life left in it.

Old 09-13-14, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
I have one of those Samsungs that I got when Circuit City (remember them?) was having a clearance sale on all their CRT TV's. Very nice unit I must say. Multiple HDMI inputs, HD quality, simulated surround, digital tuner, etc. Same sort of stuff you'd see on any good LED or Plasma TV today. Only payed $150 for a 27". Still, it weighs almost 100 lbs and is much deeper than any flat screen.

I bought a 32" LG on clearance at WM for not much more and the picture is great also, but the TV is only 2" thick and weighs maybe 25lbs.

Old 09-13-14, 08:24 PM
The crt tvs we had were all Panasonic tvs and we kept them for a while and actually it was a good thing we did as we had bought an off brand flat screen tv from Circuit City but the tv just died on us one day. Good thing we had bought a service contract as we usually don't but in this case we did so we received a nice big check in the mail after the store had closed. All of our big crt tvs are gone now and I just have a couple of real small ones with one being a dvd player too.

We dumped all of our old sets for our church bazaar I think they still had several and they really were not selling. I never did find out what they did with the old sets as they had plenty and not just from our house either. I kind of felt sorry for them as those sets were real heavy.

Old 09-15-14, 02:27 PM
I cant explain why but the coming years will reveal some grievous damage to human eyesight
due to flatscreens. THe human mind isnt meant to process light that comes out of a flatscreen.
Its going to start changing vision genetics slowly and not in a god way. CRTs are much easier on the eye though not perfect. Mark my words. There is trouble coming in the future decades due to looking at flatscreens for hours a day thru out a lifetime.

Old 09-15-14, 09:06 PM
I will not debate you but I personally haven't had any problems with flat screens be they my tv or my laptop. Oh sure my eyes have changed but I don't think it is from a flat screen and find it is easier on my eyes when I use my laptop versus my desktop which has a failing crt. For my tv I don't notice any glare off of the screen versus the glare I always had from lamps reflecting off of the screen.

Old 09-15-14, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
Ooooohhhhhkkkaaay then. Guess this one can be closed.

Closed Thread