yet another wall mounted tv question

Old 10-04-14, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yet another wall mounted tv question

This question has probably been beat to death but I want to hang our tv over the fireplace to create more living room floor and wall space. Currently have drywall above the mantel but will eventually cut all of that out to reframe and recess the tv plus add built-ins on each side of fireplace. Right now want to temporarily hang it so we 1) see if we like watching tv like that and 2) see if the current tv size will work before framing and recessing. Problem I see is no current studs in middle of the 49" span. The tv is an ultra thin 50" plasma that weighs 50lbs. Hear is what I thought of doing. Glue and screw together two pieces of 3/4" plywood 20"x49" and bolt the tilting tv mounting bracket to it. Secure the ends of the plywood into the studs with screws and in the middle use snaptoggle anchors in to the drywall. My thought on the snaptoggle is to help reduce or eliminate twisting or bowing on the middle. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-14, 01:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You need two studs to hang a TV and you don't want/need one in the center. Basically you'd want them 8" off center.

You could use your plywood mounting idea.... if the studs are on 16" centers there wont be any need for toggles.

Old 10-04-14, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
Your plywood would work but a lot of over kill. Drywall can't hang on air there needs to be studs back there. Since you are hanging TV and can't find stud any other way I have used a finish nail and poke holes in wall about 1 inch apart to find studs. Normal studs are either 16 or 24 inches apart. Usually 16 inches.

Old 10-05-14, 12:49 AM
Actually there are not any studs in the middle. This is my fault for not describing better. The fireplace and mantel protrude 12" out from the wall. Previous HO creatively built the wall out above the mantel. So above the mantel the sheetrock is only supported on the sides since over the middle would be the fireplace insert. I will be tearing all of this out eventually but for now where a large picture used to hang is where we want the tv. I do need to cut out and look back there to try and see how well the framing is. This is the reason I thought of spanning this 49" protruding section of drywall with plywood so I can anchor to the ends into the studs. Since no studs spanning the middle I found in another forum where someone mentioned using snaptoggle. If I can figure out howcro attach a photo I will. Oh also the other kicker is the face of this angles back 3", so will have to shim the top part out some but also using a tilt mount to help with that. Thinking ahead I moved the ceiling vent out 4" to be clear of the wall once it is rebuilt and removed the can light that was close by and retextured ceiling.

Old 10-05-14, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
No studding in 49"

You're right..... plywood that wide could flex but I doubt the rock would do much to hold it. The wood is stronger than the rock.

Old 10-05-14, 11:52 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What I would do. I would cut out a strip of Sheetrock either 5" wide or 7" wide depending on the top to bottom dimension of the TV mount all the way to where the 2x4 begin at the corners . Then I would install a 2x6 or 2x8 flush with the back of the sheet rock. Actual fastening would depend on what was found when it was opened up. Then I'd reinstall the Sheetrock I cut out. If I was good at Sheetrock patching I'd then patch it. Since I'm not good at Sheetrock patching I'd picture frame it with trim to hide the seam.

Old 10-05-14, 12:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
Just a idea since you are planning on rebuilding anyway I would take drywall out where the plywood is going. This will give you a good look at what you are facing on rebuild and plywood will hide hole.

Old 10-08-14, 09:37 PM
Since you're going to open up the wall anyway, why don't you just install two horizontal 2X4's flush with the back of the dry wall then install a piece of 3/4 plywood screwed to both the horizontal and vertical 2X4's. If you size it right so that it's just slightly higher than the mounting bracket, paint it the same color as the wall, you'll never see it anyway. You can get fine finish plywood too so that it's a smooth finish after painting.

Old 10-13-14, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the info. The 2x8 worked great. Used 4" screws on the ends. Still a little apprehensive so I tested it by grabbing and hanging from it. Figured if it will hold 210 lbs a 50lb tv should be good.

Old 10-13-14, 07:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Yeah, that's the same test I used when I hung a ceiling fan from a 2x6 I'd installed between the joists in my basement.