Needing help diagnosing my Sony TV

Old 10-27-14, 07:04 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Needing help diagnosing my Sony TV

Hello All,

I have a Sony KDL-40EX400 TV that began having some issues. First, it actually turned itself on a couple times in the middle of the day. Thought it was a fluke. Then, it began not turning on, or just turning on for a few moments and then powering off, flashing power led 5 times.

Then I discovered that I could use a usb drive to flash the firmware, and it would work for a few days. I was flashing firmware more and more frequently to keep the TV going, eventually this didn't work.

The light code means "LCD issue." I bought a main board thinking this seemed probable considering the firmware thing. Same issue. Next, I bought a power supply thinking this was also plausible. Same result.

I'm unsure what to do now. I could replace the TCON board, but there were no issues with the display when it was on, so I think that rules it out. I'm leaning towards buying the backlight inverter but I don't want to keep aimlessly buying parts. Perhaps someone with more experience can tell me a likely cause or if I'm just wasting my time?

Thank You.

Old 10-27-14, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Problems with this TV seem to be spotty.

I came across two items....

One is that you need to use a Sony recommended USB flash drive. Make sure you locate the latest version of the firmware too.

The other item is check all the interconnecting cables especially the LVDS cable that runs from the Main Board up to the TCON board which is top center behind an aluminum cover. I would try unplugging them and then replugging them in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: