5.1 vs 7.1

Old 11-05-14, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
5.1 vs 7.1

Just purchased 55" Samsung smart T.V. and before installing need to replace the Amplifier/Receiver because my current antiquated Sony does not have correct cable connections. Further, current system is a 5.1 and considered going w/ a 7.1 in the event I want to add 2 additional speakers in the future; however, curious if designed for set # of speakers if the 2 empty connections would confuse the Rec/Amp?? Comments, suggestions appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-14, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 371 Votes on 348 Posts
if the 2 empty connections would confuse the Rec/Amp??
You don't need to use the extra two speaker connections for 7.1 if you don't need them. Just set the receiver to 5.1 processing so you don't lose anything.

Old 11-05-14, 05:39 PM
PJmax, I thank you, it would seem to me it would better to have the option than not; now that I know I certainly can address the issue with salesperson who was not sure when I purchased the T.V., now just a matter of having the store geeks explain how to set the receiver up for one or the other. Again, info greatly appreciated.

Old 11-05-14, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 208 Posts
The option to go to 7 channels is a nice option. As PJ said it won't hurt if you don't use the extra two channels. If you do hook them up and have a decent system the sound can be freaky. With some sources it can be amazing what you hear. It's good like when listening to a blockbuster movie and have the system cranked. You expect to hear sounds all around. When watching normal TV shows it can be a bit unnerving though. Once a month I find myself pausing or muting to confirm if that sound behind me is the TV or something wrong in the house.

Old 11-05-14, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
I dont think your going to get 7.1 from the tv . Or 5.1...

Old 11-05-14, 06:24 PM
"Once a month I find myself pausing or muting to confirm if that sound behind me is the TV or something wrong in the house"

How funny, this is great, the family streams all our entertainment, which includes music, seems as if a couple extra speaker may add another dimension. Again, thanks to all!!.

Old 11-05-14, 06:40 PM
"I dont think your going to get 7.1 from the tv . Or 5.1."

Not that knowledgeable, we do not use the TV network and route/stream our video, and or music, thru our current 5.1 , amp/rec surround system and certainly adds to the quality of the sound. If the option of possibly adding a couple of speaker thru a 7.1 surround system seems could be a plus?

Old 11-05-14, 09:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 371 Votes on 348 Posts
You're streaming thru your receiver...... that will generate the surround sound.

Old 11-07-14, 10:14 PM
Actually you CAN get 5.1 surround sound from your TV. Since you have a Samsung "smart" TV you will have access to movie streaming services like Netflix. If you have your new receiver hooked to your TV via the ARC HDMI connector (That's Audio Return Channel) when you stream a Netflix movie that has 5.1 audio, your receiver will produce 5.1 surround sound from your speakers.
Keep in mind that there are not too many movies with 7.1 surround sound but more are being made all the time.

The new thing out now is the Dolby Atmos Receivers. 11 channels. You'll have to read up on it but if you're installing speakers for a 7.1 surround sound system you may as well find out about how the Dolby Atmos works so you can at least prepare to add it in the future without having to re wire your system then.

Old 11-08-14, 02:10 AM
"The new thing out now is the Dolby Atmos Receivers. 11 channels. You'll have to read up on it but if you're installing speakers for a 7.1 surround sound system you may as well find out about how the Dolby Atmos works so you can at least prepare to add it in the future without having to re wire your system then"

Appreciate the information, intend reading up on it; it would be nice to have the option of an additional feature should I decide to go with the 7.1 system. One of my concerns is whether todays 'hi tech' electronic equipment can be 'dumbed down' to my level so it's probly best I try and go for a system that is not to complicated to operate; recently informed by granddaughter our 3 year old DVD has features we did not know existed. Looking forward to hooking up the 'smart' t.v., although just the term I find intimidating; although, going from 27" tube will be an improvement. Again, thank you for the information, greatly appreciated!!.