Cable Box to A/V Receiver connection?

Old 11-22-14, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cable Box to A/V Receiver connection?

Not knowledgeable so rely on sales person's input; purchased the Pioneer Elite VSX-44 A/V receiver, and Samsung 55" smart T.V. a few days ago; however, after reviewing the instructional CD, and the AV operators manual it is not clear to me how the cable box; either using coaxial, or composite connectors hooks up to the AV, I do not see either inputs on the back of the A/V??

I have run all the accessory components; Roku, DVD, Computer, and Ethernet from router to the AV using HDMI, or Ethernet cable, etc., and was going to run a HDMI from the T.V. to the AV and operate the entire system thru the Cable remote device. If I can not connect the Cable box to the A/V would the other option be to run a coaxial cable from the T.V. to the cable box and still be able to use the cable remote???

Contemplating exchanging the A/C; comments, suggestions appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-14, 09:18 PM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
What inputs and outputs does the A/V receiver have in back? Could you post a picture?

Normally a "coax" is not connected behind the A/V receiver either from a cable box or to a TV set.

Connecting composite (yellow, white, red) from cable box video out to A/V receiver (for example) Video 2) and from A/V receiver video out or monitor out to TV (for example Video 3) gives only standard definition.

Connecting HDMI from cable box output to (for example) A/V receiver Video 4 and from A/V receiver HDMI out to TV (for example) Video 1 can give hi-def depending on the channel you chose and the capability of the cable box.

Both of the above methods let you use the cable box remote to select channels. But in both cases you must first use the TV remote to select which TV input port in back (for example Video 3 or Video 1) is to be drawn from at that moment. Also you need to use the A/V receiver remote or knobs to select which port has the cable box feeding it.

Old 11-22-14, 09:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 375 Votes on 352 Posts
The VSX-44 will accept one RGB component input. You can reprogram (page55) the RGB input for SAT/CABLE use. You can use the standard RCA audio cable for audio or program the coaxial or optical audio input jack depending if you want a surround sound signal from the cable box.

Name:  vsx44.JPG
Views: 588
Size:  39.7 KB

Have you considered exchanging the cable box for one with an HDMI output ? That would be the preferred connection method.

Old 11-23-14, 03:10 AM
Just upgraded Cable package and the box they provided offers either coaxial, or RCA connectors. So; looking at picture in post #3, I attached the 'Red' RCA connector from the cable box to the input 'Red' (sat/cbl) on the AV, I did the same with the 'Yellow', and 'White' connectors, each to the (sat/cbl) AV inputs. Should have the speakers connected tomorrow then give it a try, I want to run the entire system off the Cable remote, to include my streaming box. Looking forward to turning it on; going from small tube T.V. to a large 55" flat screen is going to be a big 'Wow' for me. Intend contacting the cable company Monday to see if they offer a box w/ the HDMI connection. I can not thank everyone enough, comments and suggestions greatly appreicated, thank you all very much!!

Old 11-23-14, 06:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Whether or not you can operate all the components from the cable remote will be "iffy". I finally settled on a Logitech Harmony 700 remote that handles everything but the coffee maker After programming, hit one button for "watch TV" and the satellite, tv and av come on. Hit "watch movie" TV, AV and DVD come on. Planning on programming ROKU today to another button.

Old 11-23-14, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Your current "upgraded" cable box sounds like a fairly low tech or older box. If you are paying for HD service then the box they supplied you should have an HDMI connection.

If you only have the Yellow, Red and White connections then you'll connect like below.

Name:  vsx44.JPG
Views: 558
Size:  41.2 KB

Old 11-23-14, 10:06 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
I'm a little leery about the reliability of one button on the remote for "watch TV."

It might be programmed okay but suppose you press the "watch TV" button (you had put a paper label on it) and it turned on the A/V receiver and cable box but somehow the remote wasn't aimed quite right and the TV did not go on. You press the button again and this time the TV came on but the A/V receiver and cable box also got a signal from the remote and turned themselves off again.

With the more primitive programming, you might have it all on one universal remote but it might go something like this: Push the button "to control the TV", then press the "on" button, then press the button "to control the A/V receiver", then press the "on" button, then press the button "to control the cable box", etc. This way you can see that each piece of equipment responded before you go on to the next button push.

Old 11-23-14, 11:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The Logitech "steps" the control for each unit. First the TV, 2 seconds later, the satellite, then 2 seconds later the AV. I can see where it could be a problem if the units were scattered about, but having them basically in front of the viewing area I don't have a problem. If you do have a malfunction, just press the "help" button. It will run you through (on a screen on the remote) questions like "is the TV on?", etc. I have yet to obtain an off the shelf "all in one" remote that would work all the features of DirecTV, except the Logitech. I used to have my DirecTV remote velcroed to the other components remotes (the ones it didn't operate) like M-16 magazines. Now, one remote. And it is rechargeable.

Old 11-24-14, 05:01 AM
I've also been using the Harmony remotes. I love 'em.

"Watch TV" does fail to turn on a component now and then if the line of sight is blocked. There is a "Devices" button that allows the remote to control each device as if it's a universal.

Old 11-24-14, 10:14 AM
Apparently connecting components thru the AV is a problem, tried couple variations but can't seem to locate the menu that recognizes the source. Only option is to run RCA connection from box to AV, then running HDMI from AV to the T.V.?? Will call Cable Co. and see if they can help sort it out; better yet, pay for tech to come and install the equipment and be done w/ it?

Old 11-24-14, 02:45 PM
Group Moderator
We previously discussed a cable box with an HDMI output. That would be an ideal solution to the problem.

Old 11-24-14, 06:12 PM
While on the phone, explained the Cable 'technician' how I wanted to route the
cable box' thru my AV and was inform it was not possible stating in order for the box to work I have to run a coax cable directly from the box to the television. While I had them on the phone they instructed me thru the connection process using the new cable box to no avail. Arranged an appointment with tech visit for tomorrow. Explained I wanted the tech person to call me before hand and I will explain what I intend to do and for the tech to bring equipment to do it. Again, thanks to all for comments, greatly appreciated.

Old 11-24-14, 09:22 PM
Group Moderator
I have to run a coax cable directly from the box to the television.
That is incorrect. You were probably just talking to a service writer.

I have many customers who use an A/V receiver like yours to do all their HD switching via HDMI inputs and one output to the TV. There is no reason why the HDMI output of the cable box couldn't be connected to the A/V receiver.

In your case you have a cable box with component connections. That can also be connected to your A/V receiver but it needs to be programmed as such.

The Pioneers can be a little tricky to program but if you connect your TV to the MAIN HDMI output port.... you should see the programming prompts and steps "on-screen."

Let us know how your "service call" goes.

Old 11-25-14, 03:52 AM
The information is very helpful, feel more at ease now, particularly considering the AV provides features that are directly linked to the T.V. Hopefully the technician will call before the home visit, either way I will insist the cable(s) be routed thru my AV, preferably using another box with HDMI, or by RCA cables. I thank all for comments/suggestions; greatly appreciated.

Old 11-27-14, 01:51 AM
Exclamation

Arranged for Cable Installer for Tuesday and they did not show. Had to reschedule for the next day and he arrived late with another installation across town so the installer was in and out before I had time to cook a 3 min. egg. He did bring the Cable Box w/ HDMI although not familiar with setting it up thru the A/V so I ended up without the AV audio. I started diddling w/ the remotes after he left and got the TV and A/V totally confused. Felt it best to temporarily connect Cable box directly to the TV to get thru the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Thought rather than spend considerable time reading and watching manuals it would probably be best to wait until I purchase a Universal Remote and be done with it. Not sure if it means anything, appears the Logitech 700 has been discontinued but there's a newer version, Logitech 915-000239 Harmony Home Control, but then again I don't want another apparatus I can't program ?? Again, thank you for the input!

Last edited by lightspeed; 11-27-14 at 02:10 AM.