I cut the cable TV off...Better antenna suggestions?

Old 11-28-14, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
I cut the cable TV off...Better antenna suggestions?

Well I bought one of those lava 2605 antenna. I installed last week and get 28 channels..

Actually I get 2,4,5,9,13 aiming one way,( NY) and channel 7 if I aim at Philly.

5, 9 are not always available. 11 forget it..

I would like to get an antenna that I can just aim at NY and get 2-13.. Thats all I want...

I have to say that the HD is much better then what I was getting through cable TV... Much better clarity in 1080i..

With that said here is my set up..

Name:  1123141558-01.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  32.9 KB

Here is my channel scan...

Name:  1123141558-00.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  34.6 KB

Anyone know of a small antenna that may work better to pull in the 5,7 11 all in one direction? The ones people suggest are like 7 ft long and 6 ft wide.. I would like to keep it smaller. Just wondering if anyone else cut the cord and has an antenna...

Oh and with that said after I called the cable company and cancelled they increases my internet speed to 50 down and 25 up for the same price I was paying for 15-5... $59,95.. Im happy...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42455[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-14, 01:04 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you have enough unfinished space in your attic you might want to put a full size antenna in there. A small antenna in my experience can't match a full size antenna.

Old 11-28-14, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Holy crud...those are great speeds Mike. I need to put the antenna that was here when I moved in, back up...(pre-digital). I took it down just because it was ugly and a poor install. I'm thinking attic as well, but I have old school stucco with chicken wire. Not sure if it would do well.

Old 11-28-14, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have very good download speeds, Cox Cable, which is probably the fastest in the nation. Your upload speed is incredible Mike. Can't even get close to that.

Old 11-28-14, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
If you have enough unfinished space in your attic you might want to put a full size antenna in there. A small antenna in my experience can't match a full size antenna.
As you can see in the pic I dont have an attic....LOL Small 1200 sq ft cape...

Just wondering if any other antenna options anyone knows about. Dont want to trial and error..

example the antenna I have specs below.. ( May be fudged/false though) Just a note I am 43 miles from NY. Lookibg at gain I assume, But these may be false claims...

And please dont laugh. I know these websites look like they are huge sales pitches for products that dont work. But the one I have works well..

Best LAVA Outdoor TV Antenna Amplified With Motor on SALE - Outdoor HDTV Antennas

Frequency(VHF) 40 - 300MHz
Frequency(UHF) 400 - 860MHz
Gain(VHF) 28 - 32 dB
Gain(UHF) 32 - 36 dB
Power 3W
Max. Rotation 360˚
Impedance 75Ω
Max. Output Level 145 dB
Working Voltage 110V/60Hz
AC Output 15-19V

Then I found this ... Looks sturdier...But specs are different?

Spectrum Antenna SP613 Long Range Outdoor TV Antenna

Technical Specification:

Channels
1-69

Frequency(VHF)
40-300MHz

Frequency(UHF)
470-862MHz

Gain(VHF)
17 to 23dB

Gain(UHF)
25 to 35dB

Power
3W

Max. Rotation
360˚

Impedance
75Ω

Max. Output Level
145 dBµV

Working Voltage
110V/60Hz

Noise Margin
﹤3dB

And I found this one too...

CM-4228HD

Bandwith 174 to 216 and 470 to 700 MHz
VHF Gain 5dB
UHF Gain 12dB
Front to Back Ratio 18dB
Return Loss N/A
Impedance 75 Ohm

Old 11-28-14, 04:16 PM
H
This is the type of antenna I like Robot Check . It looks like the old fashioned antenna but is made a bit differently we have ours on a mast attached to our chimney with a rotor and and a booster as the signal at our house isn't very good without one. We also have Netflix for a great deal of our movies and it is one of the best investments we have made.

Old 11-28-14, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Thats 111" wide hedge... Not what I am looking for.....

Old 11-28-14, 06:46 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Mike, the first thing to do is to check out the stations you are trying to receive as to their frequency and power. These links will help.

TV Fool

The Digital TV Transition: Reception Maps

( I have a few more if necessary.)

You may find that some of the stations are still transmitting on a VHF frequency and if you do not have a VHF-UHF antenna you will have poor results. In my area I have two such stations and they are all but impossible to receive with a UHF only antenna.

You will find that weather can have a HUGE effect upon the UHF stations. I technically can receive something like 38 stations BUT when I cut out all the shopping, religious, foreign language and poor reception channels it comes down to only 13 channels with the furthest being about 32 miles away. Even the Seattle stations, about 12-1/2 miles away can be problematic when the wind is blowing hard or especially during a heavy rain with the exception of the two VHF stations which are rock-solid. If I try to directly tune the local Fox channel (32 miles) I rarely get a watchable picture but luckily I can tune to a translator in Seattle and it is rock solid.

Network-wise I receive ABC, THIS, NBC, CBS, GET-TV, FOX, JOE, ANTENNA and ION along with the local PBS station and another local station. Antenna alignment is CRITICAL and changes in elevation of even six inches can mean the difference between a watchable signal and nothing. The same holds true for horizontal distances as well. When I had the antenna mast next to the house I could not receive the local PBS channel. If I drop it six inches lower I lose ABC. Just a couple of degrees rotation is the difference between signal and no signal on the CBS station. Dropping the antenna about a foot and a half brings in the ION station better but I also lose some of the other stations.

While I was in the hospital I had access to "expanded basic" cable service and I found the ONLY cable channel I missed was Classic Arts Showcase. I will occasionally go through the listings that would be available if I signed up for TV service through my Internet provider and the truth is, there really isn't all that much on television that really interests me.

You may find that using an antenna amplifier helps or you may find that it actually hurts the signal, no way of knowing until you try.

This is the antenna I am using at present. Stellar Labs VHF/UHF HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Yagi Antenna | 30-2440 (302440) | Stellar Labs

Old 11-28-14, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator
Hi furd... You sure this is the antenna you have??? I was just looking up that one... seems much larger then mine...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42473[/ATTACH]

Shows an amplifier inline... all I can see its made by e sky... No rotor though. Its advertised as an 180 mile antenna... What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/HG-997-Directi.../dp/B00P7RP5DI

Video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxPA0CqABv0 Compared to what I have now... Has amp with gain control but I have it up all the way...

Amazon.com: Lava HD-2605 UHF/VHF HDTV Antenna with Remote Control: Electronics

Attached Images  
Old 11-28-14, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
Maybe you can help me out Joel... Im 07731... I would like to get all the yellow channels... Nothing more... 2,4,5,7,9,11,13...

The Digital TV Transition: Reception Maps

Old 11-28-14, 07:29 PM
F
Lots of antennae look similar, the ability to "grab" a signal is often the physical size and the number of elements rather than the actual design. I remember as a kid we used to make "YAGI" antennae with a piece of Douglas fir for the spar and aluminum clothes line for the elements.

ANY multi-frequency antenna will be a compromise and I know of no way to predict which antenna will function best in any particular installation. As I stated, the location of the antenna is critical and moving it as little as six inches in any direction might make the difference between a strong signal and no signal at all. A directional antenna will have the best gain but it will also have the worst performance IF there is a significant radial (compass degrees) difference between stations. An omnidirectional antenna will be least affected by location but it will also have the most trouble picking up any but the strongest signals.

Bottom line is that antenna reception is a crap shoot and THAT is the reason how cable got a foothold, first as CATV (Community Antenna Television) where a centrally located antenna (or antenna farm) was connected throughout the area and that evolved into the cable franchises we all love to hate today. Now people are going back to individual antennae because they are learning that having several hundred channels makes no difference if non of them are carrying programming that YOU want to watch.

Old 11-28-14, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
Now people are going back to individual antennae because they are learning that having several hundred channels makes no difference if non of them are carrying programming that YOU want to watch.

Funny. I dont watch TV... Just the news in the moring, traffic, and weather before work... My kids stream from netflix, so they are not TV watchers... My 14 year old never watches ever...

Im going to try that larger antenna I show in post #9... Shows it has an amp like mine... I will aim it 30 degrees to NY... No rotor though but hope to get all stations in that direction...

Note: I only turn my antenna with rotor to get channel 7 towards philly.... I dont watch 7. the wife watches that in morning before work... Also philly is farther then NY but I think its flatter terain...

Whats funny is she has been watching whatever is available... 2, or 4...LOL..

Im happy less channels. makes you watch tv instead of flipping channels... Reminds me as when I was a kid... Waiting for the test pattern to end and tv would start...

Usually jack la lane then seaseme street...LOL

Old 11-28-14, 07:55 PM
F
Here's a commercial site with lots of information. http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/1496626.html

You might also look at AntennaPoint.com - Antenna Locator

Sometimes it helps to do the advanced search where you input your full address, for me it definitely makes a difference due to the elevation of my house.

Look carefully at the transmitting power as well as the distance. You need more power for the signal to travel longer distances.

Old 11-29-14, 04:54 AM
D
Mike, have you considered rotator?

I also wonder if you could use two antennas at the same time.

Old 11-29-14, 05:15 AM
D
Old 11-29-14, 08:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 597 Votes on 562 Posts
Like Furd mentioned.... there is no way to predict which antenna will work best. I'm half the distance to NY than Mike is but I have a mountain range between me and NY and my reception is absolute crap.

I had great reception when the networks were transmitting from the Twin Towers but when they moved to the Empire State.... I lost most of everything. I would expect the networks to move back to the new Tower but that remains to be seen.

Old 12-16-14, 08:25 PM
UHF is a strange animal. I spent a lot of money on antennas in the 70's to get UHF channels and a friend up the road 100 yards was getting them on a coat hanger. Like realtors say,"Location, location, location".

Old 12-16-14, 08:30 PM
Thank you Lawrosa, that's what I wanted to hear. It does work. I've looked at that antenna for a while now. The Lava 2605 is making you happy, then I'll go ahead and buy it.
Thanks again.