Universal Remote

Old 12-04-14, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Universal Remote

Looking for input regarding Universal Remotes. In my previous post ' Cable Box to A/V connection' thanks to input from DIY member's, and reviewing the A/V CD-Rom instruction manual I am now able to operate the various components to the Home Entertainment Center. In the thread a Universal Remote was mentioned and since I now find it can take me 2-3 remotes to get to the desired entertainment site I went to the 'Geek' support staff and asked for suggestions. I don't see myself installing more than 4-5 components; however, I want to be able to maneuver thru each of the components from the 1 remote and told I should purchase the Logitech Harmony Ultimate One. I thought before putting that much into a remote I would ask members w/ experience for comments or suggestions. My knowledge of electronic components is limited??

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-14, 03:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I think I mentioned in that thread about using a Logitech 700 remote. It controls everything, and you set up "scenes" that you want. If you want to watch TV, press the button, and the TV, satellite box and AV come on. Want to switch and watch a movie on DVD, press that button, the TV stays on, the AV stays on, the satellite goes off and the DVD comes on.

I have 4 scenes programmed into it, including streaming from a ROKU, listening to music, TV and movies. Very easy to program. Charges via USB, so no batteries to change out.

I am sure others have their favorites, so hang in there.

Old 12-04-14, 03:49 PM
If I understand correctly, the 700 for ex., rather than use the Cable Box remote to select 'on demand' programing to either; watch, buy, rent, or scan the 220 channels, can be done thru the Universal remote, similar maneuvering capability with the A/V?

Experimenting with the 'Smart' T.V. feature last pm; although currently at the infancy stage, found I am able to access all the streaming entertainment, free or purchased, thru Roku can be done thru the 'smart' T.V., one remote down with couple more to go. Information greatly appreciated, thank you!!

Old 12-04-14, 03:58 PM
Now, we DO use the ROKU remote once all the parameters of the AV system is up and going. I don't think there is a remote that will take over that task. You may have to use the proprietary remote of your cable company once you have your parameters set, in order to access THEIR special task programming.

I was thinking more or less, getting the system up and running with ease.

Old 12-04-14, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
I use the Universal line of remotes.... a little pricier and a little trickier to program. The Universal as well as the Logictech have the ability to "learn" special functions directly from the equipments original remote.

Old 12-05-14, 03:37 AM
Thanks to all for the information, now it's a matter of deciding which remote would best serve my purpose. Again, thank you!!

Old 12-05-14, 07:52 AM
I've been using the Logitech Harmony Touch for about 2 years and love it. I have a large collection of remotes that have been "obsoleted" when new gizmos enter my system and there are no appropriate buttons on the remote to "pair" with the new functions. The Logitech web-based programming is intuitive and simple, and new products are added as they come to market. Their customer support isn't the best but they have a very useful forum on their support site where you can get expert help from staff and other users.
A few days ago I added control of my Amazon FireTV stick as a new "activity" to my remote and again it impressed me with how easy it is to program. Easy doesn't mean quick, however. It does take some time to "build" activities on the computer before downloading the program into the remote. It's hard to anticipate all the nuances of controlling a complex AV system without fumbling your way through it for the first time. When you create an account on their site and build your control program it remains there so making changes later are a snap.

The newer Harmony Ultimate includes RF and bluetooth so is even more obsolete-proof and Logitech even has apps for the Ultimate to be replicated on a smart phone for those components that respond to BT commands. How cool is that?

The real downside is the $350 price tag but for me--my wife understands the remote and can use it without help from me. That's a first and I'll pay almost anything not to hear her gripe about how complex the A/V system is!

Old 12-05-14, 07:58 AM
Group Moderator
my wife understands the remote and can use it without help from me.
That's how a remote should be.

Old 12-05-14, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I have pointed the remote at my wife on several occasions, but I think it needs programming to get her to understand

Old 12-05-14, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
I can help you with that Larry. In particular the mute button.

Old 12-05-14, 04:34 PM
Aha! May work. I was trying the "off" button. Duh!

Old 12-24-14, 10:39 AM
A big do about nothing, thanks to all for the help. Yesterday set up the Logitech Harmony 650, which took about 20 min's and went smoothly. After sorting out set-up issues with the Home Theater System; particularly with the Pioneer VSX A/V; which as mentioned, can be temperamental. Anyhow, I was not sure what to expect, found I can now use the Universal and maneuver thru each component, now a matter of where to store the other remotes. I love it and can now appreciate the entertainment center. Thanks to all for the input, greatly appreciated.

Old 12-24-14, 11:21 AM
Glad you were able to settle on a good remote that can take the place of all the others. I have a box in a closet for remotes with no batteries. If I sell a component, I will retrieve the remote to sell with it.

Old 12-24-14, 04:22 PM
Still in the infancy stage of learning how to use the various remote function, won't be long before I can challenge my neighbors to a remote 'smack down'. Removed the batteries and placed them in a box and placed them in the closet.