TV won't recognize / memorize / auto-program channels

Old 12-23-14, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
TV won't recognize / memorize / auto-program channels

I have a rooftop antenna. I plug the coax cable from the antenna into the back of the tv, then on the tv menu, there is an option to search for cable connections, it does the search and does not find a cable. The next item on the tv menu is auto-program channels. The auto-program goes through all the channels but does not find any. Someone gave me this tv, is it possible that I am doing something wrong or that maybe something is loose or can be easily fixed? Or, should I just trash the tv? I opened the back of the tv and everything looks intact. When I hook the antenna cable to another tv, the other tv gets a good signal from the antenna.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-14, 07:13 PM
I should also add the Model is Magnavox model number 19PR14 C122 Manufactured in Mexico in 1995

Old 12-23-14, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 505 Votes on 475 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I can find little to no information on that TV but it looks like a tube type/analog TV.... before HD. If that is correct you will not be able to pick up HDTV signals directly on that TV. You'd need a convertor box like listed below.

There are many on the market.... these are just two.
Mediasonic HW180STB HomeWorx HDTV Digital Converter Box
Insignia Digital TV Converter Box NS-DXA2

Old 12-23-14, 07:43 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is there a place on the menu for "over the air" or antenna ?

Cable connections would be a paid service - you state that you are using an antenna.

Also, welcome to the forums.

Old 12-24-14, 06:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 311 Votes on 285 Posts
I'm with PJmax. All over the air broadcasts are now digital and old analog TV's cannot decode or recognize the new digital signals. Your TV probably would work with a digital converter box which are $25-$50. You might have to order the converter since all newer TV's are digital capable and most stores have stopped stocking converter boxes

Old 12-24-14, 07:29 AM
THANK YOU Pilot Dane!

I knew I was missing something. That is exactly what the problem is. I have a converter box and I was wondering if I might need to use that with the TV.
Now a perfectly good TV can be used instead of getting scrapped.

Thank you very much, I really appreciated your help.

Also, thank you goldstar, there isn't a place on the menu for over the air or antenna, but I think the cable menu option will find the antenna after I install the converter box.