Full motion TV mount on single Metal Stud

Old 12-27-14, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Full motion TV mount on single Metal Stud

Hey guys,

I just read a ton of comments on a different wall mount thread and didn't see anything that matches my setup.

Here's the story, just bought a 50" led TV that weighs 28lbs, and a Sanus VMF518-B3. The mount weighs 7-8lbs and fully extended is 18.97".

I live in an apartment with metal studs and ripping apart the wall isn't an option.

Is this possible? Would any of you professionals take on a job like this? If so, what type of fasteners do I need?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-14, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Bad bad idea. Metal studs are strong in supporting vertical weight, not so good in twisting and deflection.

Mount a piece of nicely finished wood across 2 or 3 studs, the attach the mount to that. Actually, attach the mount with countersunk nuts and bolts from the back, then mount the plywood to the wall.

Old 12-27-14, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately that is not a good choice of brackets for a metal stud installation. A single metal stud will not hold up your TV. You have two options.... return it for the type that requires two studs for mounting or you'll need to attach a piece of wood to the wall, spanning two studs, and then mount the bracket to that.

Old 12-28-14, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the prompt replies and good advice.

I've returned the previous mount and am now looking for a new one.. Should any mount that spans two studs work? Will I need any type of special fasteners?

Old 12-28-14, 06:57 PM
Received 118 Votes on 108 Posts
Do as Gunguy says. But for what it's worth do you really want a wall mount TV? You still need to hide the cord and once up you have no option to re-locate the TV. I've always been partial to using a TV stand that also double for cabinet space with no fear that the unit might fall from the wall. Plus I don't need to worry about holes in the wall when and if I move.