Articulating TV mount for 16" studs on 24" studs

Old 01-09-15, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Articulating TV mount for 16" studs on 24" studs

I bought an articulating TV mount (Articulating TV Wall Mount with Long Arm | AV Express) for my 65" LED TV (~60 lbs) not realizing that the mount is for 16" studs and I have 24" studs. Not only that, but the studs are centered in the middle of where I want to mount the TV (so even if I had a mount for 24" studs, I couldn't install it centered on the wall).

I asked the store I bought it from about potentially installing it with 2 lag bolts down the center stud and 4 snaptoggle bolts at the corners (Toggler Snaptoggle | Anchor Bolts,Toggle Bolt, Toggle Bolts), but they said that would not work. So my question to you folks, how could I make this work? I've read about some folks attaching plywood to the studs then installing the mount onto the plywood, but I'm not sure if that would work with a TV this size (and an articulating arm tat extends out ~30").

Thoughts? If I'm not 100% sure that I can do this safely I'll just return the mount and leave the TV on the entertainment center, but I wanted to check my options before I do.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-15, 02:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 421 Votes on 394 Posts
If you were to use wood between the studs it would have to be 48" wide. Fastening the wood to three studs would support the TV and bracket.

The downside is that's a pretty large piece of wood. It would have to be something like 3/4" 13 ply birch plywood for strength and finishing quality.

Old 01-09-15, 02:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Whats on the back side of the wall?

Old 01-11-15, 08:15 AM
The other side of the wall is the outside of our townhouse so I cant get to it. I was thinking of using two 2x12s 50" long for braces. Would that hold the weight safely when the arm extends out?

Old 01-11-15, 08:53 AM
I don't think you need to span 3 studs, only 2.

Use the good plywood as mentioned above. The home centers sell 2 x 4 precut sheets. The layered plywood is necessary because it has no voids like cheap plywood and will hold a screw better.

To "hide" the plywood: Pick a stud 24" to left or right of center stud. You will start at the stud where plywood will be mostly behind TV.

Once you determine the starting stud, align plywood with the far edge of that stud. The long end of plywood will go towards center stud.

You will screw the plywood into the far stud and the center stud. The screws for center stud do not need to be at the edge of plywood, the wood can cantilever out. You can reduce the cantilever distance by moving plywood left or right.

You should be able to center TV easily. The TV mount also slides left and right on the mounting bracket. So between the two, no problem.

Use #10 truss head cabinet mounting screws for the ply.
Believe me, this thing is going nowhere and could hold much more than 100 pounds.

Old 01-11-15, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 421 Votes on 394 Posts
There is a stud directly in the center of the TV. I'm not sure if shifting two feet is going to work for him.

Old 01-11-15, 09:17 AM
It's hard to explain, you're not shifting 2 feet.
The mounting plate is only 18" wide.
So you can screw mounting plate to center stud, let's say 2" in from outside edge of plate.
All you need is to secure other side of plate, 2" in from edge.
The 3/4 ply spanning over to next stud will support the additional 2 screws easily.

Also, remember the mount doesn't need to be centered in order for TV to be centered. There's about 6 - 7" movement left to right of center. Between using the plywood and sliding mount, the TV can be secured and centered. It'll take some measuring to get it just right.

Old 01-11-15, 09:46 AM
Here's a simple drawing. Plywood will cantilever past center stud. To center TV, you can use the mount slides or cantilever plywood out more that shown.

You can also span three studs, I think this would be good.

Name:  tv.JPG
Views: 2339
Size:  23.4 KB

Old 01-13-15, 07:29 AM
Received 24 Votes on 24 Posts
For a TV wall mount, the screws near the top are the most important. The plywood should be fastened to the wall with at least two screws within 4 inches of the top edge at each stud. The topmost screw should be within 1-1/2 inches of the top edge of the plywood. A 3/4 inch or larger metal washer under each screw head is a good idea. The top most holes of the TV mounting plate must be used.

Should, due to wood damage or other reason, you can't use a top hole in the TV mounting plate, choose a slightly different position for the plate rather than rely only on lower holes to hold the TV on the wall.

Old 01-13-15, 03:49 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

So here's what I'm thinking. This may be overkill, but I want to be 150% sure this arm will hold steady even when it's fully extended at 30" while hilding a 60-lb TV.

I was thinking of building a brace with two 2x12's, each ~52" long. This will allow me to span 3 studs while keeping the wood still hidden behind the TV (which is 57" wide). Each 2x12 will use 3 lag bolts per stud (3" apart), for a total of 9 lag bolts. Then, I was going to attach the TV mount to the 2x12s using bolts. I'm attaching a quick image to describe what I mean (green square is the TV mount. I got the idea from the AVS forum (link).

I like Handyone's idea as well, as long as I can be sure that that setup will hold everything when the arm is fully extended.

Name:  tv_mount.jpg
Views: 3995
Size:  19.6 KB

Old 01-13-15, 05:29 PM
I would use plywood over the 2 x 12's. The 2 x 12's will probably be cupped, or will cup.
Plywood will lay flat.

Just be sure to get the good plywood, at least 7 layers.

I looked at the site you linked to and it's overkill. No one wants their TV to fall down, but keep in mind that IF you had studs 16" on center, all this mount calls for is 4 screws. At #10 or 1/4", you are talking serious holding power. You couldn't pry that board or mount off the wall if you tried.

Old 01-14-15, 10:14 AM
There is no need to use 2x (two-by) lumber - 5/8" furniture-grade plywood is fine. However, I notice that no one has suggested using a plywood panel that is Taller than the metal bracket. That is important! The screws should not be pulling at the edges of the plywood panel. So add 4" (four inches) to the height. That puts the screws well-away from the edge, and makes the plywood much stiffer where it counts.

I notice that no one has suggested removing some section of drywall panel, and substituting plywood. This would allow you to achieve a flat wall surface. For example, if you cut out a rectangle flush with the inside edges of the studs, you could install vertical and horizontal braces between them - a hidden box - and cover that with plywood.

The horizontal braces can be plywood that overlaps behind the drywall (they could even meet or, better yet, be a single hidden panel).

You may wish to leave a gap between the vertical braces and the original back surface of the drywall, so a hidden plywood panel can be inserted flush against the vertical braces and also fit behind the drywall. If so, make the vertical braces end at the top or at the bottom of the opening. (Can you see why?)

Finally, you could reinstall the drywall panel over the hidden plywood panel (although that would be weaker than two layers of plywood).

Old 01-14-15, 11:12 AM
I like the idea of the recessed panel and then flushing it out.
If I were doing this on my own home, I think that's the route I would go. More work but a professional appearance. It's all about hiding as much bracing and cables as you can.

Good Job avid0g

Old 01-29-15, 01:29 PM
Hi all,

I wanted to update this thread now that I finally have some spare time to work on this project. So my initial locations for the studs were actually incorrect (due to my stud finder getting confused with the insulation). I do have 24" studs, but only 2 are located behind the TV, and not exactly centered. So I'm thinking of building something similar to what Handyone mentioned above. One piece of plywood, 40x24x3/4" (13 ply birch plywood, which I still need to find locally) spanning two studs, but slightly offset. The TV mount will actually be over one of the two studs, so I can use lag bolts to hold both the mount and plywood directly to the stud on that side. The plywood will be taller than the mount by 4" on top and 6" on bottom, which I'm hoping should provide sufficient support.

I like avid0g's idea of hiding the plywood within the drywall, but I'm not sure if I'm confident enough in my drywall skills to replace such a large piece if I ever decide to remove the mount. So I may just keep it simple for now.

Does this sound good for an articulating mount with a 60lb TV? Is it a problem that the TV mount won't be in the center of the plywood? Would I have too much stress on a single stud doing it like this? (blue rectangle in the image below is the TV mount)

Attached Images  
Old 01-29-15, 02:11 PM
That looks real good to me.
No worries on the studs being offset or distributing weight. You could mount something there a whole lot heavier than a TV.
I think you are as good as done.