Pioneer receiver speakers don't work

Old 01-11-15, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pioneer receiver speakers don't work

I have a Pioneer receiver that has been boxed for several years. I hooked up a tape deck, CD player and record player to it. I cannot get sound out of any speakers. I tried two different sets, and I am positive that the second one I tried works, because it works on another stereo. I can get sound out of the headphone jack, so I know the components are connected. Is there any hope to getting sound out of the receiver?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-15, 08:16 PM
This is too simplistic, but I have a Kenwood with A B speaker switch on front panel. Check if you have the same.

Old 01-11-15, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
After checking the A/B speaker switch, be sure to unplug the headphones.
If all else fails.... post the model number.

Old 01-12-15, 05:30 PM
already tried that

I already tried the A/B speaker buttons on the front. The model is Pioneer SX-255R stereo receiver

Old 01-12-15, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
Many times plugging in headphones will turn the speakers off. That is not the case with your unit. You said the headphone jack works ok. Does it appear to work in stereo and does the volume control affect it ?

In looking at the schematic of your unit..... if the headphones are working normally with a pair of speakers connected.... the problem is most likely a switch problem on the A/B switch/headphone jack p.c. board.

Old 01-13-15, 02:21 PM
headphone/speakers

First of all, I don't have the speakers hooked in right now, just the headphones. The sound is not coming through both sides of the headphones, and the volume control does make the loudness go up and down. Any chance that this is something that I can fix on my own?

Old 01-13-15, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Ahhhhh.....ok. Since the sound is only coming thru one channel of your headphones you most likely have a shorted output amplifier channel.

Unless you are electronically inclined that really isn't a DIY repair. The problem will most likely be several shorted transistors in the output amplifier.

Old 01-14-15, 05:46 PM
Thanks

Thank you. That is what I needed to know. Do you have an idea of how expensive that might be to get repaired? Don't need an exact amount, of course, just a range to know if it is worth taking it somewhere.

Old 01-14-15, 06:54 PM
Group Moderator
Based on a typical repair service rate I could see about $65 there. The Pioneer suggested price when new was $250. There's a used piece for sale on amazon for $125.