Smurf tube gonna cut it above fireplace?

Old 02-03-15, 11:01 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smurf tube gonna cut it above fireplace?

Greetings all.. SO! after new home construction(worst experience in my life) I found about halfway through that our TV Nook next to the fireplace had to be shortened from about 68 inches in width to 48 for some reason the builder could not fully explain. This leaves me with the sad realization of mounting my TV above the fireplace. The builder refused to allow me to install any type of conduit as they deemed it altering construction and would violate my purchase contract.

So now I need to either run HDMI from top of fireplace to the TV nook where my equipment will sit or I have to run some sort of wireless HDMI (have before was not bad but might of improved)

My question is what type of conduit would suffice to run from top of fireplace to out the side wall of the NOOK? This will NOT be run through studs and will just sit in the free space behind the mantle. I have included a pic of the fireplace pre-drywall to give you an idea of where it would run. My concern is how hot does that space in there get? anyone ever measured temp of hollow space behind mantle? And if that conduit comes into contact with the metal of fireplace since it won't be run through studs.

BTW the red line shows general direction the conduit would run. But it would just free float in that emptyspace and not be attached to any studs

Name:  IMG_4033.jpg
Views: 11965
Size:  50.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-15, 11:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 329 Posts
That cavity will not get hot. You don't want anything touching the box for the fireplace but if you stay 4-6" away you won't have any trouble.

As for what type of conduit I would make it as big as you can. I'd look at PVC drain piping it would be great if you could run 2" and use 45 degree fittings which would make pulling wires even with the connectors on the end a breeze.

Old 02-03-15, 11:46 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
One note: line voltage wiring such as for a 120 volt receptacle can't be in the same pipe/conduit and plumbing pipe can't be used for line voltage cables.

Old 02-04-15, 07:07 AM
L
Thanks for the advice.. You know I was at home depot yesterday and was staring at the PVC and thinking "I wonder if I can put some angled pieces together and fit them through a wall cutout" Yes 2". I do not NEED to really pull more than one HDMI cable and maybe optical. But good to have it there if I need to.

Old 02-04-15, 07:37 AM
L
Well after I threw a fit over them changing the floor plan. They soo graciously "sarcasm evident" Put me in an electric receptacle above the fire place and a cable jack as well. I have also considered just running HDMI down to the cable jack as I won't use the cable and just getting like 30 feet HDMI to go UP the fireplace into the attic and then back down the wall behind the nook.

Old 02-04-15, 07:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 329 Posts
Don't forget you'll want some way to connect your sound system, external speakers or a converter box to the TV so you may still need some form of conduit over to the side.

Old 02-04-15, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 605 Votes on 570 Posts
You'd be better off putting the cable jack where your equipment is going.... especially if you are using any type of convertor box.