What to do with high-end ceiling speakers

Old 02-03-15, 12:55 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question What to do with high-end ceiling speakers

I was recently given a couple of Bose Free Space 100s, a 3-way speaker meant for ceiling mount. I have a workhop that I'd like to put them in but I have no ceiling in there. There's a few joists at ceiling level (8 ft) and they are centrally located in the shop. I have done a little reading and realize will not present a "soundstage" effect but for the folkie/acoustic stuff I like, I'd be happy just to have decent sound and good tunes.
- I realize that these speakers are designed not to be put in an enclosure but it would be necessary to build some support just to install them. I am wondering a couple of things: 1) What might be a good way to "audition" these speakers to see if they sound pretty good for music
2) would a box without a back enable the speaker to function as designed
p.s. I see that there are flexible covers for the rear side of the speakers to keep attic dust out.
- Any experiences you DIYers would share will be interesting to me and perhaps even helpful. THANKS

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-15, 01:30 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Use some pieces of dry wall or buy two pieces of ceiling tiles & mount the speakers in them. Screw the tiles to the joists. That should give you an idea of how they sound. If the sound is good enough, leave them there.

Old 02-03-15, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 605 Votes on 570 Posts
What is the full model number ?
Are those the round type speakers ?

They should be in an enclosed box and don't need the ceiling as an enclosure.

Old 02-04-15, 08:51 AM
T
Ceiling speakers

Thanks.
The full model number for these = FS100F

Old 02-04-15, 09:25 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Those are "free air" speakers that don't need an enclosure--but should be mounted to a baffle for better bass response. The larger the baffle, the lower it goes in bass-- to the mechanical limit of the woofer. The baffle prevents the long wavelength bass frequencies at the back side (-) from reaching and cancelling the waves from the front (+).

Old 02-04-15, 09:34 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What might be a good way to "audition" these speakers to see if they sound pretty good for music?
Since that was the original question, any type of mount will do. When do you plan to "audition" them, if you haven't already? If they pass the "audition", you can decide which mount to choose, for the final installation. Personally, I'm not a fan of Bose.

Old 02-04-15, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 605 Votes on 570 Posts
Those are the DF-100F's and they are a sealed back/front ported speaker. They are designed to be ceiling or pendant mounted so they don't rely on an enclosure for bass.

As it's only a 5"+ woofer I don't imagine you're going to be getting any earthshaking bass in that area.

Give those babies a test ride and let us know what they sound like.

Old 02-05-15, 06:21 AM
T
Ceiling speakers

I tried out the speakers and they sounded very good. I believe the 3-way sound is just right for the acoustic / folkie stuff I listen to. I did try some "Band of Heathens" a favorite rockin' blues band out of Austin just for grins and the speakers performed well on electric music as well. The speakers come enclosed in a plastic "can" and sounded very good just placed on the workbench beside the old Onkyo receiver. The workshop has exposed studs and I will probably build simple shelves slightly angled to the rear to compensate for the slight angle in the speaker enclosure mold. I'll then set the enclosed speaker on a piece of foam to keep rattles at bay. Simple, as it turns out! The Bose DS100Fs were not as "power hungry" as I thought they might be and had a nice sound for my tastes. I'm no longer a bass-hungry guy and concentrate on clear mids and highs from the mandolin, fiddle, acoustic guitar and vocals.
Thanks to all who participated and believe me when I advise don't blow these off if you're offered a free pair for the workshop. I had two other pair of ancient Optimus Pro 77s that turned out to have rotted foam. The only repair kits rivaled 50% of new small bookshelf speakers, so not worth it.
Thanks again!

Old 02-05-15, 06:29 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you like Folkie stuff, try Tom Paxton & John Prine. Those are two, mostly unheard singer songwriters from the 60s. If I think of any more, I'll let you know.

Old 02-05-15, 07:41 PM
T
Pulpo, Prine and Paxton?

Both pretty famous dudes in the circles I roam. Try John Prine's Bruised Orange, an oldie that I was unaware of until recently.

Old 02-06-15, 08:41 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I'm glad that you know about them. You would surprised how many people don't.