How to add extra USB ports

Old 02-10-15, 09:09 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to add extra USB ports

Good evening. I am builing a 12' x 20' building for music/band practice but will also be showing movies later on. I want to be able to have a hookup on each wall for USB. I have seen outlets with 2-4 USB connections on them, but what do you actually wire it up to? Does it somehow hook into your main electrical system and subpanel/breaker box? Does it need to hook into a computer? Please give some advice as I am not knowledgeable of this at all. I am a little tech savvy, but not when it comes to installing usb ports in the walls. One on each wall.

Thank you,
mrcarl

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-15, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Will the USB ports be used for recharging power only or for data transfer? Why do you need them on each wall? Curious.

Old 02-11-15, 04:46 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You can't run USB more than about 15 feet, so if you plan to do a permanent installation you'll almost certainly need USB/Cat 5 or Cat 6 extenders.

USB hubs are widely available. They allow you to plug in multiple USB devices to one computer port.

Old 02-11-15, 06:48 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
More info on what purpose these will serve is needed.

The 'outlets' you have seen are likely only for charging devices, not data transfer.

Old 02-11-15, 09:28 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi all. I was wanting them for charging for sure and was thinking there could be a way to exchange data from users to the computer. One on each wall as I have the area set up for basically 4 musicians. Drummer, bass, guitar, keyboard. We could all synch together to exchange songs without all having to converge in one area around the computer, which will someday be sort of closed off in the tiny control room. This would keep from having others in and out of the room, but be able to transfer songs from their devices to the computer for editing, etc. I might not be thinking too clearly on this but this is what I have in my head so far before I close all the walls up permanently. I see they have all these usb, wifi plugs at my job at headquarters. People can just come and plug in at different areas and do whatever. I'd like more info on the USB/Cat5/6 extenders.

Old 02-12-15, 04:34 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would wire the walls with cat 6 wall plates and have some USB extenders on hand to connect to the wall plates. A data switch (with a WAP connected) and a USB hub at the other end would cover all the bases.

Check Monoprice.com for the extenders.