Failing optical audio cable

Old 02-21-15, 11:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Failing optical audio cable

My parents have a couple Bose TV speakers similar to this one: BoseŽ Solo 15 TV Sound System | Bose

It connects to the TV via an optical cable to transmit the sound signal from the TV to the speaker. One of the TVs/speakers is fine but the other one appears to have had the second cable in a year fail. Is this common? I have no experience with optical audio cables to know what's normal or if there's anything causing it to fail prematurely.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-15, 12:59 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 601 Votes on 555 Posts
There is only one optical cable that feeds the signal to the whole audio system. If it fails so does all the audio. If you are having one speaker within the system fail then it's either a cable, the speaker or something else in the audio system but it's probably not the optical cable.

Old 02-21-15, 01:00 PM
S
Group Moderator
Whole thing fails. First time it happened, replacing the cable resolved the issue and I have inferred that is what has happened again this time.

Old 02-22-15, 02:42 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Fiber is very sensitive to dust. It is possible that some dust or other contaminants got into the connectors.

Old 02-22-15, 09:22 AM
S
Group Moderator
Thanks, Rick - I'll check that out.

I talked to the old man this morning and plan to be over there this afternoon to take a look. He said the cord is a six footer and I think it's possible the curtains are moving it when they're open and closed so it might be breaking in the process there. A shorter cord should solve the problem if that's it but I'll take a can of compressed air along as well.