Samsung HD CRT just died.

Old 04-06-15, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Samsung HD CRT just died.

Brought my Samsung Slimfit CRT HDTV TXT2793 (all 90 lbs of it) from the other house for a garage TV. Cleared a spot, plugged it in, heard the normal click and short hum of going to standby. When I hit power, I heard a click and it was dead. Nothing. Unplugged for 30 min tried again, no click, no nothing. Took the back off today and did a visual, fuse is good, power to input is good, no obvious damaged components (blown/bulged caps, black resistors, burnt transistors, etc).

I know it's old and outdated, but it really had a good picture and sound and would have worked fine for my needs out there.

Can't use my old Sony monster, too darn big and heavy and no digital tuner for my current cable or OTA reception. Would need a cable box or converter. And...it must weigh 150 lbs anyway, I sure can't lift it on my own.

Any quick checks I can do on the Samsung (no scope, but I have a good multimeter and basic skills) or should I just bite the bullet and get a cheap LED unit from Wally World?

Old 04-06-15, 08:43 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vic I am sorry to hear that your television died on you. I can't guide you in how to repair the television as I don't have the knowledge for that. Computers yes I can help you there but not with a television. Speaking of computers though are you going to have a computer in your garage? The reason I ask is that I remember you having a computer in the garage in your old place. Samsung makes a nice 22 inch monitor/television and I can give you the model number if you think you would like it. It isn't real loud unless you set it for watching sports but loud enough for me. I wouldn't repair the old t.v. .

Old 04-06-15, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, meant to come back and update. Had to go to WM for some other stuff and they had a clearance 32" LED HDTV for $155 (originally $210)...so I went for it. Now I can mount it on the wall and recover some storage space. A heck of a lot easier to maneuver around, only 18lbs.

Looks and sounds pretty good. Have it hooked to an OTA antenna right now for testing and getting something like 25 channels.

Prob no PC, though I may use the laptop out there eventually, and it has both a DVI and VGA input.

Now just have to dispose of the 2 CRT beasts somehow. Not sure if the City takes those at the electronics recycling.

Old 04-07-15, 10:37 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I know what you mean about those big old crt televisions they are beasts to handle and very hard to dispose of as no one wants them. We had about three to get rid of several years ago and we just donated them to our church to sell at their bazaar. When I went to the bazaar they were just sitting there with a few others nobody wanted. I imagine you probably will have to pay someone to haul them away for you. It sounds like you had a great deal with the new television Vic what brand is it?

Old 04-08-15, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
We can take electronics to the Sanitation centers, so it's likely, you can too.
If you go to the city's website, there should be a section there that will tell you what's accepted.

Old 04-08-15, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Nothing fancy, just a Sceptre. But it got good reviews and has a decent picture. Apparently assembled in the same plants that make components for some of the name brand models. Wasn't going to get any big names for that kind or price, even marked down.

Yeah Becky, they have a dumpster for electronics, but it seems like there was a sign that said no CRT's. Either that or it's what I remember being told when I inquired. Have to take a drive down and see. There's also people always running ads for appliances and such, working or not.

Old 04-09-15, 04:13 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Best Buy takes them up to 32 inches for recycling.

Old 04-09-15, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
No gots one here Rick. And I'm not driving to Las Vegas to get rid of them.

Old 04-10-15, 04:26 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
FedEx it overnight. That couldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: