Repairing my Sony TA-SA300WR wireless amplifier?

Old 04-09-15, 02:11 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing my Sony TA-SA300WR wireless amplifier?

Hi all,

I recently noticed no sound was coming out of my wireless rear home cinema speakers, so went to investigate. The speakers are plugged into a TA-SA300WR unit which had a flashing red LED (which according to the user manual means "Protection is active" and the unit has shut itself down)

The unit was not ideally positioned in my house (near to my back door) and when I lifted it out there was a slug nearby, spiders galore, and a load of gross stuff (dried slug slime I imagine) over the ventilation holes. When I took the unit apart I noticed one of the contacts was blackened, where I assume some slime got into the unit (please see attached images)

So my questions are I guess:
1) I don't know much about electronics, but the blackened pin looks to belong to a transformer, is there an easy way to test it with a multimeter? Perhaps the contact just needs cleaning (wishful thinking)
2) I am OK with a soldering iron, if I could pick another one of these transformers up and replace it would you guess that I'd get this going again, or would this component being fried have likely fried other components things along the way?
3) Anyone seen slug slime do this before? :-)

Cheers!

User manual for the home cinema is here for reference:
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4418141131.pdf

Name:  IMG_20150409_201645.jpg
Views: 2987
Size:  26.2 KBName:  IMG-20150409-WA0014.jpg
Views: 3023
Size:  37.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-15, 08:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,045 Votes on 969 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Is that the only point that is blackened ?
I would severely doubt the transformer is bad. Clean that area with an old toothbrush and rubbing alcohol. (just regular alcohol) Does it look like the solder is cracked or bad ?

That may be a point where the voltage arced..... if yes then the problem is more likely a defective transistor.

Have you got a volt/ohm meter ?
Do you know how to use it ?

Old 04-12-15, 08:49 AM
A
Hi!

Thanks for your reply apologies for the delay in my response

I have cleaned the area as you suggested - the solder looks OK to me (just a bit darkened), there's just the section that was blackened that appears to be damaged and has some small holes burned into the circuit board (trying to attach a picture of this but I keep getting "file upload failed" - I will try again shortly)

The area that's blackened is between a pin on the transformer and one side of a resistor (pictured) - so pretty much director underneath the "T902" marking on the board

I've got a mutimeter - I've watched a few YouTube videos on how to use it but I'm nowhere near proficient with it! I should be able to test things on the board with it though if you're able to point me in the right direction?

Yes, that does appear to be the only part on the whole board that is blackened / damaged looking with the naked eye

Cheers!

Name:  IMG_20150412_164247.jpg
Views: 2655
Size:  36.4 KB

Old 04-12-15, 08:52 AM
A
I've uploaded the picture to imgur instead:

http://i.imgur.com/IhsTpig.jpg

Old 04-12-15, 09:06 AM
Group Moderator
You'll need to remove all the black from between the terminals. That is carbon and is conductive. I'll look at the service schematic and let you know what direction to head in.

Name:  IhsTpig.jpg
Views: 2495
Size:  42.6 KB

I'll be back later today.

Old 04-26-15, 04:54 PM
A
Hi Pete

I cleaned up that carbon and tried to fire it up again, but still no joy

I found the service manual available for download here (I've got the PDF on my machine) but it's all a bit much for me! SONY TA-SA300WR VER1.4 2012.05 Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics

Don't suppose you have any ideas what I might try next?

Cheers

Old 04-26-15, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
I'll look over the manual and give you some places to check. Bump the thread if I don't get right back to you.

Old 07-12-15, 07:32 AM
A
I forgot all about this too - bump!