Custom VESA mount idea for TV on Thick Pole

Old 04-16-15, 10:51 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Custom VESA mount idea for TV on Thick Pole

Hi Everyone,

Im in a situation where I need to hand a small (24 inch) TV on a pole that goes through the corner of the kitchen. Its actually a 2 inch in diameter heating pipe, so it gets very hot when the uilding is being heated.

I am thinking I will need some kind of pipe clamp to initially get a hold of the heat pole. Maybe even two clamps 6 inches apart and then have some kind of threaded pipe conect the two in the middle and then one go horizontally towards the TV. Also, Is there something that is firefroof that I can wrap arouund the pipe so that it acts as insulation and prevents heat from spreading from pipe to the TV?

Ideally, I would like the TV to be able to rotate a little but I guess that can be done by the actually VESA part at the end as long as I can connect it to pipe somehow.

Thank you for any and all of your ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-15, 12:20 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
In my opinion this is a poor plan. Unless you can find some material to insulate the heat travel from the pipe to the VESA mount you WILL transfer that heat to the television, shortening its life. A sufficient length of wood might do the trick but that raises other concerns as well.

Old 04-17-15, 08:39 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Insulate the heating pipe and box it in first.

Just for clarity what is a heating pipe, steam, hot water, air, or something else?

Old 04-17-15, 09:58 AM
G
Thats for your comments.

Here is a picture of the pipe int he corner: 2015-04-17_1246 - directories's library

I believe the heating in the building is steam, so that's what would be going through the enclosed pipe.

What can I use to insulate the part where I will need to grip the pipe? And what is boxing?

i think if it looks osmething like this (2015-04-17_1255 - directories's library), it should be able to swivel a little (from first angle if I do not tighten it too hard - 2015-04-17_1256 - directories's library) and the heat will have to take a long path to get to the TV. Even so, since heat rises, much of it may not come back down the thin pipe.

I understand it will still be too warm for the tv and may significantly decrease its lifespan but I really have no choice of placement here so just have to find out best way to make it work.

Old 04-17-15, 10:12 AM
What can I use to insulate the part where I will need to grip the pipe? And what is boxing?
Box in means to build a box around it floor to ceiling. Since it is in the corner you can use the walls for two sides and either add one diagonal side at 45 or two sides at 90. The mount is fastened to the box you build around the pipe.

If steam the pipe should already be insulated. The picture seems to confirm that. If so the insulation would compress and not provide a secure mounting for the clamp.

Plan B instead of boxing it in would be to fasten a board perhaps 12" wide diagonally infront of the pipe and fasten to it to the walls..

Old 04-17-15, 10:59 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Please fill in your profile so we know where you live.

Is this in an apartment? Is it an owned apartment (or condo) or is it rented? If a rented space then you can do NOTHING without the permission of the owner and even then it needs to be in writing and preferably notarized.

If this is a space that you own then Ray has given you good advice.

Old 04-17-15, 11:30 AM
G
Its an owned apartment. Even if not, I don't think its a problem to temporary clamp anything to the piper as long as its not irreversable.

As for the boxing the pipe (in actuality just a floor to seeing radiator), I don't how that can be a good idea to trap all the heat in one corner and especially with a flameable board; oh and in the kitchen. Besides the safety concerns, its probably not going to be esthetically pleasing. A version of plan B can be an option in a specific case if screwed directly onto the back of the TV to deflect some of the heat from the pole... (actually not cause it would also close in all the ventilation.)

Anyway, I am justy looking for the part names that can be used to concuction something like in my drawing (2015-04-17_1246 - directories's library). Does it look like those pipe parts exisits to be able to make something like that?

Old 04-17-15, 12:00 PM
in actuality just a floor to seeing radiator
Never heard of one. Sure doesn't look like one and seriously doubt it is. There would be valves if it was. Really do not think fastening anything to the pipe is a good idea. I can't imagine an unlagged (uninsulated) steam pipe so it probably won't work because pressure from clamps would crush the lagging.

Just checked your IP and see you are in either Chicago or more likely NYC. I have heard Chicago slum loads claim an unlagged steam pipe is for heat so maybe it isn't lagged. If you just must do it a four womm gear hose clamps holding two foot long piece of 2x8 to the pipe might be a place to start.

Old 04-17-15, 12:18 PM
G
Cool. I think it shoudl definitly hold it.

I don't know what's the reason behind those pipes but it looks like it goes all the way through all the 6 floors. I'm sure it's not that long so it probably connects with extender after each floor. It's as solid as it gets. Maybe i'll get one of those thick foil type insulator pads to wrap around about 20 inches of it so it gives off less heat in the direction of the tv and hold it down with tight clamps. Now just need to figure out the puipe architecture to make everything work.

Old 04-17-15, 12:47 PM
Using a board as I suggested no insulation needed. The 2x8 will provide the insulation. Wrapping anything around the pipe would make it less secure.

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  24.6 KB

Bolt (not screw) an 18"x !8" piece of " plywood to the 2x8 and bolt the mount to it.

Old 04-17-15, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I've been watching this thread, and I have to ask, why not just a swivel/adjustable mount attached to the wall on one side or the other? I just put one in for my garage TV. $26 on Amazon. Came with all the hardware for either stud or masonry walls, 10 min (ok, maybe 20) I was done.

Then you could insulate or heat shield all you wanted to with no problem.

Old 04-17-15, 05:41 PM
Vic's idea is far better then mine. I urge you to use his idea not mine.

Old 04-17-15, 07:23 PM
G
Lol, thats what I just ended up doing. I actually had a pair of mounts laying around that I was planning for dual monitors but decided to just use one up. So much less hastle.

The only reason I wanted to try to attach to pole is because it seemed(initially) like it would be an easy do it yourself contraption but honestly just not worth the effort.