Sherwood RX-4109 200W Stereo Receiver

Old 07-07-15, 05:59 AM
Received 42 Votes on 35 Posts
Sherwood RX-4109 200W Stereo Receiver

The Sherwood RX-4109 200W Stereo Receiver looks like a basic unit with the capabilities I need to replace the Akai tuner described in http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ho...m-upgrade.html.

Has anyone had good or bad experience with this tuner? Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-15, 08:40 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's been a long time since I've heard the name Akai but I remember it being good. I don't listen to commercial/sing along radio & now that what I like streams over the internet, I haven't used a tuner, in years. My computers are connected to my stereo system. In your case, I would probably buy a separate tuner & run it through the amp, if I were to continue, with local radio.

Otherwise, consider the streaming idea. The selection is 10x what it is with a tuner & the sound is as good or better. I can suggest some good stations, depending on your taste in music. Whatever you like, non commercial beats commercial.

Old 07-08-15, 07:47 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Regarding the Sherwood receiver, please realize that this Sherwood is not the Sherwood of old. Like many companies, the original Sherwood has gone out of business, and their name is licensed out to an Asian manufacturer. That being said, for the money, the Sherwood is probably as good as similar low priced, entry level stereo receivers, such as the Insignia and Sony. I'm assuming this receiver is priced around $100, as are the others I've mentioned. It's not audiophile quality, but in a modest system, it should provide acceptable performance. Receivers in this price range are usually throw-away products, but used within their capabilities, should give you decent bang for the buck.