Adding multiple HDMI connections in new basement home theater / rec room setup

Old 08-03-15, 05:08 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding multiple HDMI connections in new basement home theater / rec room setup

Hello Folks,

Have a question regarding the addition of HDMI in a new basement build. Currently, the framing is finished and before the drywall is installed, I would like to run all the data cables that I anticipate using in the future. I also plan to add conduit parallel to the data lines that will remain empty as a sort of "future-proof" arrangement.

I plan to have three different HDMI inputs that will be distributed to two different HDMI output ports. HDMI IN 1 could be sending a signal to HDMI OUT 1, while at the same time HDMI IN 3 could be sending a signal to HDMI OUT 2. What is the best way to handle such a scenario? The max distance on any given HDMI segment should be no more than 40 feet. Also, a single HDMI input would not be used to send a signal to more than one output. I have attached a diagram to further demonstrate what I'm trying to describe. Hope it makes sense to someone besides me.

Thanks All,

Chris

Name:  hdmi.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  21.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-15, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,041 Votes on 965 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately it doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm missing something.

Why are the HDMI ports scattered around ?
What will be at those locations ?

Usually you would use an A/V receiver to switch HDMI ports.

Old 08-04-15, 09:59 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the welcome and reply.

The locations will actually be different rooms. I eliminated the walls to simplify the diagram.

I'll try to explain the possible situations better. For instance, I might have my laptop connected to HDMI IN 2 and watching from the TV connected to HDMI OUT 1. At the same time, the kids might be watching the TV connected to HDMI OUT 2 while their computer is connected to HDMI IN 3. I suppose this needs some sort of switcher, but where in the diagram would it be placed and would the switcher allow for two different simultaneous inputs going to two unique outputs?

Thanks!

Chris

Old 08-05-15, 07:27 PM
J
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You're talking about an HDMI matrix switch. Not inexpensive. These are the devices that they use in sports bars to feed different TV's from different sources.

Other than that I can only think of setting up a HDMIi patch panel at each location with cables running to each of the other locations. You'd just have to be sure of what was plugged in at the other end before you plugged anything in.

I have no idea of what would happen if two HDMI sources where input to either end of the same cable.

(May cause a big bulge of data in the middle of the cable :-)

Old 08-18-15, 04:51 AM
A
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
When your laptop is connected to HDMI IN 2 and you are watching the TV connected to HDMI OUT 1, where (geographically) are you sitting?