the switch to an active sub

Old 08-07-15, 03:15 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the switch to an active sub

I have a home theater setup (Kenwood receiver and speakers) in which the sub is passive. I am replacing the sub with an active one but need a little more info. The receiver has ALL speaker line level outs including the sub output. When run in DTS, the display for the sub line shows LFE. I have recently read that when hooking up a sub in this situation (with speaker level inputs), the sub is powered by the receiver and not the amp in the sub. Is this true? This would seriously limit my choices in subs.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-15, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,019 Votes on 946 Posts
the sub is powered by the receiver and not the amp in the sub. Is this true?
With an active sub that is not true.

You posted the links for the two subs you were looking at. They both have L and R sub woofer speaker lines in. The sub takes those two speaker level sources and electronically converts them to signals the internal amp of the sub woofer uses.

Old 08-07-15, 03:58 PM
E
Thank you. One last thing. My reciever has a dedicated speaker level line out for the sub. Actually says LFE on the front display when using DTS. EVERYTHING I have read to hook up speaker level inputs on a sub says use the front l+r wires. Do I just hook the sub wires from the reciever to one spot on the sub or split them with a "Y" and connect to both left and right?

Old 08-07-15, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,019 Votes on 946 Posts
Try connecting to just the Left speaker level in on the sub. What usually happens is the sub internally combines the L and R signal. In this case it's already combined.

Old 08-07-15, 04:19 PM
E
You're awesome. Thank you.