2 of 4 TV mount lag bolts not in center of stud. Should I move them?

Old 10-02-15, 11:52 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 of 4 TV mount lag bolts not in center of stud. Should I move them?

I am mounting a 42" plasma (~70 lbs.) and used a stud finder to place four lag bolts in two studs. When i drilled the pilot holes, wood chips came out of all four holes so I felt confident that I had found the studs. However, when tightening the two lag bolts in the right-hand stud, I heard a cracking noise and stopped tightening immediately. The wall continued to crackle (just like wet Rice Krispies) for 5 minutes after I stepped away. So, I used the trusty hammer-and-nail method of finding the edge of the stud and sure enough, the two right-hand bolts are near the edge of the stud.

The bolts are solidly in the stud and the mount is tight on the wall, but the extended crackling noise made me wonder if I should move the bolts to the center of the stud. Unfortunately, I can not move the mount any higher or lower (due to a labyrinth of wiring behind the wall and a fireplace below) so my only option is to move the bolts 1/2" to the right. But if I move them, I'm worried about the integrity of the stud with the proper location for the bolts being so close to their existing location (and future holes).

Is it better to keep the bolts near the edge of the stud despite the crackling noise, or move them 1/2" to the right to get them in the center?

The left-hand bolts are solidly in the center of the left-hand stud.

Old 10-03-15, 12:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That's a touchy situation there. If it was me I'd move the top one to the center of the stud. The top one carries most of the weight. If you were to move them both you may lose the stud completely.

Be sure you're drilling the right size pilot hole. Usually it's 7/32".

Old 10-03-15, 09:07 AM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
Can you add another lag bolt reasonably high up while leaving the bolts you already have in place as-is?

The additional bolt could be above the mounting plate with a washer used to put a hold on the top edge of the mounting plate.

The newest bolt will protect more against pull out. The the existing off center bolts will protect against slide down provided they did not go in considerably sideways as part of the process of making crackling noises and busting through the side of the stud..

Old 10-03-15, 10:36 AM
A
Thanks, PJmax and AllanJ! Both good suggestions there.

AllanJ, I really like your idea of leaving the current bolts in place and adding an additional bolt in the center of the stud. I can't add one any higher because the top of the mount is a ledge that sticks out, so nothing for the washer to hold onto.

But, I could add slightly below and to the right of the current top-right bolt (to be precise, about 1/2" to the right and 1/2" down). Do you think that would work or am I too close to the split (which is probably running vertically along the edge?)?

I could also move it a little further to the right (maybe 3/4" total) and be close to the center of the stud but a little to the right.

Old 10-03-15, 11:25 AM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
How are the perforations in the mounting plate for screws and bolts arranged?

Adding another bolt half inch away on centers is probably too close.

I think you need to post a picture.

Old 10-03-15, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
Move them 1/2" right, and next time drill a pilot hole for your lags. For example, a 1/4" drill bit for a 3/8" lag.

Old 10-03-15, 12:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
Correct.... most mounts have a ledge at the top that the bracket for the TV sits on it. I posted two of the common wall mounts. You could add a lag bolt and washer below the top hole in the center area. You could also use a mending/splice plate.

Name:  wm1.jpg
Views: 2471
Size:  18.4 KB

Old 10-03-15, 01:07 PM
A
Thanks, PJmax, that's exactly the same mount I am using. I'll try the extra bolt and washer below the top bracket and let everyone know how it goes!

Old 10-04-15, 05:17 PM
J
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
When you drill the new pilot hole you might want to drill it at an ever so slight angle away from the split edge of the 2X4.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: