stereo speakers

Old 04-08-01, 01:15 PM
Visiting Guest
How do I hook up one stereo speaker to tv or vcr to install in another part of the house?

Old 04-08-01, 02:04 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are these stereo speakers currently hooked into a stereo receiver or preamp ? What inputs are available on the receiver ? Is there any audio/video outputs on the tv ? The vcr I assume would have a video/audio output jacks - confirm ?

Repost with this new info .

Old 04-09-01, 07:38 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
If your goal is to listen to TV audio elsewhere
in the house, you might be better off getting one
of those mini FM transmitters, plug it into the audio
output of your VCR, and listen on an FM radio elsewhere.

If you insist on wiring a speaker into your TV system,
I'd leave the TV alone, because you'd have to leave it
on, and if there is no outside access for the speaker
connections on it, it may very well dangerous to connect
to the speaker on the inside.

That leaves your VCR, which has line outputs only,
which means you need an amplifier for it.

Old 04-09-01, 03:02 PM
Visiting Guest
stereo speakers

The speaker is a new one from Radio Shack and has the - & + connections that click open to insert the wires. Yes the tv is a new one with audio output jacks. Would it be better to just use the output jacks on the vcr? The speaker wire I've purchased has brass wire and silver wire coated seperately.

Old 04-09-01, 03:14 PM
D
Check the menus and documentation for your new tv, to see if the outpurt audio jacks on the tv, can be set as an output to the audio amplifier. You want a amplified output if at all possible as the line out level may not give proper listening level sound. The output of your vcr is at line level in other words at a level meant to be connected to either a audio input of the tv or an input to a stereo preamp or receiver, it will not give good listening level connected directly to the speaker, and the audio line output cannot be adjusted. If you have multiple audio outputs on the tv , you want the amplified output controlled by the tv volume control.

Some of the newer tv's have menu driven features that you can select what kind of audio output goes to the external jacks.

Old 04-09-01, 03:41 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Wink

Wow! You guys are off the scale! K.I.S.S..
Keep it simple, Stupid! Assume this person has no electonic knowledge, no expertise. No go back and read your posts and tell me that this person can understand what you wrote.
I understood it but only because I have the degrees and the years on the job.

K.I.S.S.

Smokey

Old 04-09-01, 05:33 PM
S
Cordless headphones

Volume control on the headset makes it easier than chasing down the TV or Amp remote. You can walk to the fridge, bathroom, or out to get the mail and never miss a final answer...........Also available at Radio Shack.

Old 04-10-01, 08:08 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
What does the TV have for outputs? If it is RCA jacks,
it is most likely line level, needing an amplifier.
Read your TV manual to be sure.

Old 04-10-01, 02:40 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

No Bout A Doubt it!

If you want to run external sound from your unit, it will deliver a 1 volt peak-to-peak audio signal which will not be enough to drive a speaker. The output of the unit will have to go to an amplifier (normally a stereo amp) and the amplifier will deliver the punch to drive the speakers. Each amplifier has a + and a - output (for each channel of audio). To correctly phase your speakers to the amplifier, the + on the amplifier is hooked to the + on the speaker. This also applies to the "-" connection.

Can you hook the output of your TV to your stereo system? Definitely yes.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: