Smart TV HDMI to Yamaha Receiver RX-V377

Old 01-04-16, 12:21 PM
K
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Smart TV HDMI to Yamaha Receiver RX-V377

I have connected my Smart TV (Samsung) ARC port to HDMI port of my Yamaha Receiver. However, when I start the receiver, it shows that it is connecting using AV4 port .

Also, when I am planning HD Movies on Amazon Prime , the sound stutters (or breaks) ... sound is OK if I play directly on TV.

Any idea how I can fix this problem and/or if an Optical Cable will help ?

BTW, I do not have a HDMI port in my cable box -- old style box with Co-ax cable

Old 01-04-16, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Are there any other outputs on your cable box...... maybe component.... uses three RCA type jacks ?

The receiver is a basic A/V switcher with HDMI. No streaming. So that would mean you are playing/streaming movies directly to the TV and then to the receiver for audio processing ?

Name:  pioneer.jpg
Views: 1921
Size:  52.3 KB

Old 01-04-16, 01:32 PM
K
The cable box do not have any other output but I am not concerned with the cable box. I can even disconnect the cable box.

My main problem is, when I am playing an Amazon Prime HD movie in my smart TV (through wifi) , how do I get HD sound to the Yamaha Receiver (and Bose speakers connected to it)

Old 01-04-16, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
What receiver is it? There are issues with the hdmi ports on some of those Yamaha's...

Old 01-04-16, 01:43 PM
K
lawrosa, it is Yamaha RX-V377 . Will an Optical Cable help ? Toslink ... may be ?

Old 01-04-16, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
I dont have any HDMI's on my old kenwood.. I use the optical out the TV to my reciever..

Why are you hooking up HDMI? For sound only?

Use the optic port IMO...

Old 01-04-16, 02:11 PM
K
Thanks much. Yes, for Audio only. Will use optical. Do you have suggestion for which Optical Cable to use ? Are the cheap ones OK or is it more like what you pay is what you get ?

Old 01-04-16, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
I bought cheap dynex from best buy... Or the amazon ones are good.. Dont get expensive as there is no difference IMO

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-D...net-viglink-20

Dynex 4' Digital Optical Audio Cable Black DX-SF104 - Best Buy

Old 01-18-16, 08:47 AM
K
Works great ! Thank you lawrosa

Old 01-18-16, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator
Cool.. Thanks for posting back...

Old 01-19-16, 06:49 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Can you clarify this one for me--doesn't the HDMI and digital audio (coaxial or optical) carry the same digital Dolby-encoded audio signal from the TV? I'm not clear why the receiver processed the audio better when using the separate audio connection.
I didn't think it was even possible to use the video only on one HDMI input while using the optical digital audio--they're on different inputs.

Old 01-19-16, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Can you clarify this one for me--doesn't the HDMI and digital audio (coaxial or optical) carry the same digital Dolby-encoded audio signal from the TV?
It comes through from the tv in 5.1.. On vudu movies I see 7.1. I play from my smart TV optical to my kenwood optical.

I'm not clear why the receiver processed the audio better when using the separate audio connection.
I didn't think it was even possible to use the video only on one HDMI input while using the optical digital audio--they're on different inputs.

My main problem is, when I am playing an Amazon Prime HD movie in my smart TV (through wifi) , how do I get HD sound to the Yamaha Receiver (and Bose speakers connected to it)
Again he was only trying to get better audio from his smart tv to the reciever. No video... ( Smart tv streaming)

Old 01-20-16, 07:13 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
OK I see your point regarding video connection not needed--but still thought it was the same audio signal being shared across different receiver inputs.

I guess that's a question in itself--many source components have audio available on the HDMI jack, via optical and coaxial digital, and if supported also encoded on L&R analog outputs. Is the signal the same regardless?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: