Antenna TV reception driving me NUTS !!

Old 06-21-16, 11:57 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Antenna TV reception driving me NUTS !!

I just moved to a new location. I'm having a horrible time trying to get good, reliable TV reception with an antenna.

I've gone from amplified rabbit ears that performed better than an, amplified attic / roof antenna that I had hanging in the upper ceiling of my front porch. I've tried one of those thin 16" x 16" amplified antenna's, again with no luck.

Today I installed this onto my roof.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For $100 I had high hopes. The directions state that this "must not" be fully mounted in place at first. For return reasons, if it is fully mounted in place, the mounting hardware will be scraped, scuffed, and obviously look like it has been previously used, making a return of the product, impossible. So I used my vice grips, climbed up onto the roof and temporarily got the antenna set in place. I climbed back down, went inside and ran my TV through the channel scan process. I was very excited, as I got more channels with this setup than with any other antenna. So I went through the process of fully mounting this antenna in place, made some final adjustments to position it for optimum reception, and called it good.

The antenna is mounted at the lower part of my roof, although it is about 3 1/2' in the air off the roof. Also my neighbors roof is higher than my antenna is, if that makes any difference.

I came back in the house 6 hours later, and to my surprise, my TV reception isn't much better than what it was with all the other antenna's. Now I'm *&&*%^%#@$&.

I now have a couple hundred dollars wrapped up in various antennas, that do not work at my new location.

Here's what's happening with my TV reception. Sometimes the TV stations come through perfectly, then all of the sudden the channels drop off. Then if I go back one channel and then back to the channel I was viewing, I may be able to watch it again. Also it seems like the time of day has an affect on the reception I get.

Just now, the channels that worked at first with the install of this last antenna, were not coming through when I came back into the house after 6 hours, all of the sudden are coming through again ??????????????? AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now the reception is weak ??

I have an RCA flat screen that is about 3 years old. Never been dropped or banged into, and I made sure the TV was safely padded / packed for this recent move.

Is my TV going bad ?? Do I need an amplifier added to this antenna ?? Are there outside sources that can cause hit and miss reception like this ?? Do I need to spend another chunk of change on yet another antenna ??

Please help, before I get my gun out and blow the crap out of the TV....LOL, Or before I start pulling my hair out.

Lastly, there is a large wind farm / many wind turbines about 10 miles away, if they make any difference.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated !!

Ron

Old 06-22-16, 12:13 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
A directional rotor may help. That looks poorly designed for VHF and some of your stations may be VHF regardless of their virtual channel number.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ations_in_Iowa

Old 06-22-16, 12:30 AM
S
Yes I have both UHF and VHF channels in my area.

Old 06-22-16, 01:28 AM
Is it the VHF you are having the most trouble with?

Old 06-22-16, 02:05 AM
S
All channels are affected. Some worse than others, but still issues with each one.

Old 06-22-16, 05:40 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Are you sure the cabling, connectors, and splitters (if any) are in perfect shape? A kink in a cable can affect bandwidth. A bit of the shield touching the center conductor can interfere and come & go with heat. Moisture can also affect the system, with heat of day affecting severity.

Too much signal is just as bad as too little. How many dB is the amp? Is it really necessary? We have one station that has towers a few miles away, and all the rest of the stations are 25 miles away. The closest (strongest) station causes the TV tuner to lower its input to the point where the distant stations don't show up. I had to install a filter to balance the signal.

Old 06-22-16, 05:47 AM
Received 289 Votes on 259 Posts
Ray's first post is your answer. You need to rotate your antenna to get best reception. And yes weather can affect reception. Other structures can also affect reception. I doubt the wind turbines have any affect. However, other electronic devices in close proximity of the TV and/or the antenna could affect reception. How far away are you from a major city with TV broadcasting? You may need one of those very big high gain antennas.

Old 06-22-16, 06:34 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Television reception via antenna is as much art as it is science, maybe MORE art than science.

I've been on an antenna for about two years now and I still have problems. With any particular mounting, i.e height, horizontal position and azimuth setting, I can get between 45 and 54 channels "recognized" by my television. I can run a channel scan and not two minutes later run another scan and get a different line-up. In addition to my TV I have three digital-to-analog tuners feeding two analog video recorders and also a digital video recorder. I have tried amplifiers of different gain as well as the necessary signal splitters to feed all these tuners.

I have found that some channels come in better with the antenna lower in height and others work better when the antenna is higher in height. Even though the majority of the stations I watch have a compass azimuth of 200 degrees magnetic I find that twisting the antenna a few degrees either direction can make a world of difference. Moving the antenna mast a few feet horizontally can make radical changes in the signal strength of several different stations.

Weather also has a significant effect upon the signal strength. A heavy rain, especially when accompanied with medium-to-high winds will wash out many of the lower signal strength stations. Season of the year has some effect, when the trees are in full leaf it is worse than in the winter when the branches are more bare.

Getting back to channels "recognized", my TV will often recognize a channel but that channel has way too low a signal strength to ever hope of watching it. Other channels seem to be broadcasting nothing but a continuous test pattern, even though the on-line station informational services list programming for that channel.

Now I must admit that according to the various Internet sites that show what channels are available in a particular geographic location I get many more channels than I should. Of course, many of them are channels in which I have not the least interest, several religious channels, several shopping channels and several foreign language channels as well as the aforementioned channels that are nothing but test pattern. Out of the maximum of 54 channels I have ever received I have 21 that I might actually watch, maybe 23 or 24 when I get the maximum number of channels without several "repeater" channels.

One of the problems is that "they" simply do not make tuners that are capable of receiving low-power signals with any kind of reliability, or at least I haven't found any. As it is, my television (a Samsung) seems to have the most selective and powerful tuner I have. It will definitely pick up more channels than any of my other tuners or the digital recorder.

I read that nothing can beat size on an antenna. The smaller the antenna, the less will be its performance. After my experience I tend to agree with that statement. I've tried some of the super duper miniature antennas and they ALL fail compared to my standard antenna that is about five feet long and maybe four feet wide. I have to try some more locations and a higher altitude with this antenna but I think I will end up with a larger antenna. It's a darn shame as I would really prefer a smaller, streamlined antenna.

Old 06-30-16, 03:56 PM
X
go to antennaweb.org the type in your address to find out exactly how far are the transmitters from your address and get their recommendations of what type of antenna you need. You may have brought the wrong antenna.

Not all antennas are created equal. some perform better than others.

Antenna rotors, as recommended below as well is very helpful in dialing in to the exact degree. the one from channel master let you rotate your antenna ONE degree at a time. I spent hours and hours trying to aim my antenna with no luck. Getting a rotor saved me from 'shooting' my TV - LOL

Old 07-01-16, 02:20 PM
S
Maybe this is what I need ?? I dunno ????

The antenna I purchased last, picks up more channels than any of the others have, but I get intermittent reception of a few of them. According to the sites showing the location / direction of the signal towers, it appears that the one's available to me are all in a straight line, and there close enough for the rated mileage of my current antenna.

I think I will try one of the rotators, rather than an amplifier. I've just been waiting things out to see how this current antenna works in the long term before dumping any more money into this aggravation !! LOL

Thanks for your reply xmfan !!

Old 07-01-16, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
You need to tell us how many miles you are from the transmitters... If they are in a straight line no rotor needed...

I have the RCA 751... The issue is what amp you need. I am 63 miles from the NYC towers... That means there are no local stations near me.. Philly is just as far. I coupled the RCA with the most powerful amp I could buy. The channel master 7777.

This works for me ..

Now since using such a powerful amp if I had any local close stations they would be washed out and I would not see them...

So IMO first post how far from the towers you are ..

Look here..

TV Fool

Looks like you need to aim the antennea 138 - 141 mag compass.. And channels are some 20 miles away... I bet a mid amp will do wonders...

Outdoor HDTV VHF/UHF Antenna Preamplifier/Booster-Channel Master CM 7778 (CM7778)

Old 07-02-16, 08:15 AM
S
Here's what shows up for me on the TV Fool site......

Click here > TV Fool

My local channels are 5- WOI / ABC, 8- KCCI / CBS, 11- KDIN / PBS, 13- WHO / NBC, 17- KDSM, 21- KTIN, 23- KCWI. There are actually "3 channel 13 stations", "3 channel 17 stations", and lastly "3 channel 11 stations" which come in on channel 21 rather than 11.

Hope the last paragraph makes sense ??

As you can see all my viewing channels are in a straight line, and average 55 miles away from my location, and the antenna is advertised to be good for 60+ miles.

Thanks for your reply "lawrosa" !!!!!

Last edited by skooterbum11; 07-02-16 at 08:21 AM. Reason: more info
Old 07-02-16, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Your going to need the channel master 7777. Try that with the antenna you have. Its a 30db gain amp. Your towers are far..

Note the antenna you have now is not amplified right?

Heres what I have.

https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Compact-O...words=rca+751r

https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste...el+master+7777

The antenna you have has an inflated distance spec of 60 miles.. Thats ridiculous that they advertise that..

Old 07-02-16, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Read all about antennas at Dennys...

http://dennysantennaservice.com/

I myself could use a bigger antenna as channel 7 is flaky for me.. It comes in one day and another day it drifts in and out..

I did not want a large giant 6ft antenna on my roof, and after reading countless pages of info I went with the RCA. Its 3 ft..

My future project is to install another one and aim it at philly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67949[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 07-02-16, 09:14 AM
When I looked at the picture of your antenna I thought what a joke. Looks like one of of those gimmicks advertised on late night TV. No elements long enough to be okay for VHF and certainly not a traditional shape. When I read the price I thought what a rip off. I am with Mike you need to look at traditional style large antennas. I doubt any antenna rated at 60 miles would reliably pick up stations 53 miles away. That 60 even if real is only under ideal conditions.

Old 07-02-16, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Yup ray... The OP should get the amp at a minimum.. Try it with his antenna..

My next suggestion would be to go with the RCA 751. But If its OK to have a large antenna then go with dennys stacker.. Its a 6 ft long antenna though,,,,

Old 07-02-16, 09:50 AM
S
Thanks for your input lawrosa !!

I have another home project I've started, and have to finish it before I can get back to the antenna. You've got me convinced that a booster will certainly help my TV reception problem. When I get the booster mounted, I'll post back my results.

Thanks !!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: