hooking up a PC to a home theater receiver

Old 09-03-16, 11:28 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hooking up a PC to a home theater receiver

I have a TV with 4 hdmi connections. A home theater receiver with 4 hdmi connectors.

I want to setup my Computer sound into the receiver and the picture from the computer to the TV. My Computer has an hdmi output connector.

If I hook up a hdmi cable from the PC to the hdmi1 input in the receiver, will I get a picture on the TV from the receiver? i'm a bit confused....

Old 09-03-16, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
You need to plug the laptop into an input connector on the receiver.... HDMI 1 is ok.

Then you need to connect the HDMI output from your receiver to one of the HDMI inputs on the TV.

Old 09-03-16, 11:54 AM
C
thanks. That's what I'm gonna do. But I'm thinking this is a PC and the HDMI port is on the video card. And a PC has its own Audio jack on the back of the motherboard (back of PC). Will connecting the hdmi alone will give sound to the receiver? (also a picture on the TV)?

Old 09-03-16, 12:03 PM
Group Moderator
You may have to select which output is used in your laptop. The HDMI port may get turned on and something else get turned off. Your HDMI port should offer video and sound although you won't know for sure until you try it.

Old 09-03-16, 07:02 PM
H
I have a desktop computer connected to my living room television and it is connected to my television via hdmi. Make sure your computer is set for hdmi output or you will get no sound and only video to your television. I then connected sound output from the television to my stereo receiver via RCA plugs. For some things that we saw either from the computer or via our Blu-Ray player the sound wasn't always quite loud enough for my mom who is getting up in age. We did find though that over time it could be too loud so we don't use it anymore.

Old 09-03-16, 10:01 PM
C
ok thanks for your feedbacks.

Different question from the original. I'm looking for a device similar to a home theater receiver but sold in a package.

A receiver with 4 hdmi inputs and 1 hdmi output to TV and includes 2 speakers. So some sort of home theater in a box but without the 5.1 speaker and the bluray player. Are there any device like that? if there is such thing, what brand model is a good one? I will use it to connect 4 PCs to one LED TV.

Old 09-03-16, 10:19 PM
Group Moderator
4 PCs to one LED TV.

I don't believe you'll find a package like that. You'll need to buy a receiver that has four HDMI inputs and a pair of speakers separately.

As to what brand.... maybe a Pioneer VSX-524-K - AV Receiver. Has the switching you need. Decent power. You would not be using it in the 5.1 surround mode. You would connect the main two front speakers and nothing else.

As far as speakers.... thats hard to make a recommendation. If you're going to a place like a Best Buy..... they would have the receiver and could possibly suggest a decent pair of speakers for it. Don't go for the full surround speaker kit if you don't need it. Regardless of what they tell you.... you don't have to connect surround speakers just because it's a surround sound receiver.

Old 09-03-16, 11:02 PM
C
The main use is not for home theater but for video editing....... Maybe this device which can connect 4 PCs to one TV is called a hdmi switch with an audio jack? I can use computer speakers for the sound. just correct me if I'm wrong.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: