Altnerative(s) to GoPro?

Old 10-07-16, 10:22 AM
M
Received 16 Votes on 11 Posts
Altnerative(s) to GoPro?

I was about to purchase a certified refurbished GoPro Hero3+ silver edition, but am reading bad reviews regarding the battery life, LCD screen, and horrible customer service. Are there alternatives to the GoPro? I'm looking for something to take off-road motorcycling.

Old 10-07-16, 11:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 793 Votes on 730 Posts
There are a lot of action cameras on the market. I personally am not a fan of the GoPro because of it's form factor and controls. They can take great movies but you've got that boxy thing to deal with and if you put it in the protective housing you've got a big box to mount somewhere. The Sony has a different shaped body with the lens at one end so it can sit more flat against your helmet or whatever you mount it to. And it has reasonable water proofness without the need for a separate housing.

Mostly though I use a Mobius. It's not in the same class as a GoPro or Sony and it can't take video in 4k but does quite good at 1080 and it's a fraction of the cost. I bought it considering it to be disposable but I can't/haven't killed it yet. I've had it stuck on RC airplanes that burned in hard and had to dig the camera out of the crater. A little cleaning off and it's good to go again. And for my use best is it's small size. A patch of adhesive backed velcro and you can mount it anywhere and you won't look like an idiot riding around with a big box bolted to your helmet.

Old 10-07-16, 12:08 PM
M
Received 16 Votes on 11 Posts
Thanks. I'll check it out. I don't need to record in 4K so not worried about that. Battery life?

Old 10-07-16, 01:31 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 793 Votes on 730 Posts
The Mobius goes for about 2 hours on a charge. I've never run the Sony long enough to see how long it can go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: