Composite vs Component

Old 10-17-16, 01:29 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Composite vs Component

It is possible to use Component cables in lieu of Composite?

Entertainment center where cables are routed thru the walls. I ran Component cables to connect DVD player to TV. Recently replaced DVD player using HDMI cables. I would like to hook up a VHS player, the owner's manual shows where the player is connected to the TV using composite cables. Before removing the Component cables and running a set of composite would it be possible to use the existing Component cables in place of Composite cables?

If not possible; can I use composite cables from VHS player to receiver then connect the existing component cables from the Receiver to the TV?

Comments, Suggestions Appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-16, 04:53 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
If your devices don't have the connectors to use the cabling in the walls then converters can be used. They are inexpensive and work quite well. You can get them at electronic stores or order them online.

Old 10-17-16, 09:02 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Composite video is a single coaxial cable with RCA plugs. Generally the plugs have yellow covers. Along with the composite video you need a dual coaxial cable for the audio. This will have red and white plugs.

Component video uses three coaxial cables for the video having plugs colored blue, green and red along with the dual coaxial cable for the audio.

The television probably (not always) will have a set of component input jacks that MAY be re-addressable for use with composite video. This would be done via the software set up menu of the television. Rarely can both composite and component inputs be used, one or the other. My Samsung has four HDMI inputs and one convertible component/composite set.

Component to HDMI converters are available and may be the answer if you need to utilize a composite source directly to the TV while still having the component input in usage. Composite to HDMI is also available.

I have a cheap Blu-Ray player on HDMI-1, a Magnavox video recorder on HDMI-2, an auxiliary tuner on HDMI-3 and a composite-to-HDMI adapter on HDMI-4. The composite input is a video camera overlooking my driveway. On the component input I have a four-input switch with two Panasonic analog video recorders and a Mitsubishi DVD player, all of which have component outputs.

You CAN use one of the three component cables, ignoring the other two, to transmit a composite video signal. The cable doesn't know or care what signal it carries. That stated, the component video is a far, far better picture than the composite.

Old 10-17-16, 10:42 PM
L
I greatly appreciate U all's responding!!

The VHS is a Sanyo, 'ugg', there are a set of component outlets on the back of the unit indicating DVD, and another set of composite outlets for both DVD/VHS. I temporarily ran a set of composite cables directly from the VHS to the TV and found I had to open the TV menu and switch to AV source. If understand correctly, to get the best, but inferior quality, I should use Composite cables? Although major pain in the backside, I can use a chaser string, or something similar, and pull the Component cables out thru conduit then the pull the composite thru the conduit to to the TV, may sound easier than what is?

Again I thank U's!!

Old 10-17-16, 11:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
It doesn't make a difference which cables you use. As long as they have the RCA ends.... they will work.

Your VHS is a low definition analog signal. Connecting it to a better TV won't make it look any better.

Old 10-18-16, 08:10 PM
J
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I think what you may be asking is

Can you use the Component cables plugged into the VCR's Composite outputs and plug the other ends into the Composite input of your TV set. The answer is yes.

You should have three Component cables Red, Green and Blue.
You could do the following. At the VCR, plug the Red cable into the yellow Composite video output jack and at the TV end, plug the other end of the Red Component cable into the yellow Composite video jack on the TV. Then plug the blue and the green Component cables into the white and red audio output terminals on the back of the VCR. On the TV end, make sure you plug the blue and green cables into the corresponding red and white Composite audio jacks.

Composite cables are simply wires going from point A to point B. Component cables are better wires with shielding ..... sort of a miniature coaxial cable, which will conduct the Composite signal just fine.

So ..... no you don't have to run composite cables you can transmit the composite and audio signal through the component cables. You just have to keep track of the colors and which plug you put them in.

Old 10-18-16, 09:26 PM
L
Greatly appreciated every one's input!!

Correct, that is what I hope to do, use the existing component cables to operate the VHS; was not clear which color pins to plug into what color jacks? Tomorrow I will connect the component cable to the VCR and TV a suggested, believe it is what other member's have been trying to explain?

Again, I thank U's all!

Old 10-19-16, 05:14 AM
A
Received 80 Votes on 74 Posts
Plug the green cable into the yellow jacks, the red cable into the red jacks, and the blue cable into the white jacks.

It is likely that all three cables are equal in quality (manufacturing expediency, all the cable raw material can be the same) but if not, the green would be the best (use that for the yellow video and the others for the red and white audio).

Some but not all receivers will cross feed a composite or component input to the HDMI output so just one cable has to go to the TV.

An A/V receiver or a TV with only one RCA jack input (for both composite and component) can end up being crippling to deal with. The worst is being configured only by plugging or leaving empty some of the jacks in back. Unfortunately it is hard to decide how many and what kind of inputs you will need without a crystal ball. Almost sure futureproofing and antifutureproofing would need three such inputs, one for composite, one for component, and one for S-video (has the same RCA audio jacks but a different video jack).

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-19-16 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-19-16, 06:12 AM
L
The TV and A/V receiver are approx. 1 yr. old and appears there are few input jacks that are not begin used. Currently all components are running thru the A/V using HDMI, except for this 1 Component set of cables. If I can used the existing Component cables for the VHS, which I probaly will not be using to any great extent, it would certainly be labor intensive to hook up. If I were going to use the VHS that much I would research using a HDMI with an adapter?

Thank you for the information!

Old 10-19-16, 06:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
Whatever you do to the VCR it's always going to have VCR quality. Whatever cables you choose won't make a difference. If you can hook it up using component cables I'd go that route and save the $30 for a component to HDMI converter.

Old 10-19-16, 06:30 AM
L
I agree, if using the existing component cables work it's 'plug and go' that is about as much labor I intend putting into it.

Thank you for the input!

Old 10-19-16, 01:37 PM
L
Life is Good!!! Using the existing Component cables as instructed, took a matter of 30 seconds, it works!!!

I can not thank U's all enough! Name:  th_dancing-chicken[1].gif
Views: 91
Size:  3.3 KB

Last edited by lightspeed; 10-19-16 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-20-16, 09:53 AM
E
I know I'm a little late to this thread, but as I've learned in another thread I posted there's only so much you can do to connect a VCR to a HDTV and make it look good. You might want to check out a cheap upscaler or something, if you want to use it in your HDMI ports instead, but it might not look as good: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ideo+upscalers

Old 10-20-16, 10:14 AM
L
We used the VCR last night and satisfied with the quality of the picture, as noted in previous thread, our VHS selection is quite limited, I can count the number of times the VCR is used in a month on 1 finger. I do have that device in my Amazon 'wish list', in event I should decide to run another HDMI cable thru the conduit.

Greatly appreciate your input!!

Old 10-21-16, 08:49 AM
E
Hey, happy to help! I just thought it was kind of funny we had the same problem at the same time so I thought I'd chime in.

Old 10-21-16, 09:09 AM
L
'Chime-in' is good food for thought!! Thank U