Can I use a 1.5 fuse in place of a 1.25?

Old 04-23-01, 12:13 PM
Pigfanatic
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi,
Our subwofer died and my husband was looking at it last night. He noticed that the fuse was blown. I went today to get a new fuse. The old one is a 1.25, but I could only find 1.5. Is is safe to use the higher amp fuse? If not where might I find the correct size? I have tried Home Depot, Lowes, WalMart and Radio Shack.
Thanks!
Pigfanatic

Old 04-24-01, 04:37 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Evening, Pigfanatic:
Don't tell me how you came up with your posted name. I feel I am better off not knowing.

It's not a bad thing to put a 1.5 amp fuse in a circuit that demands a 1.25 amp fuse. For one, most manufacturers under-rate their equipment and, as a result, under fuse them. Put in the 1.5 amp fuse and, if everything works okay, then leave it.

Smokey

Old 04-24-01, 08:56 PM
Pigfanatic
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info... we tried the 2.5 and it seems to work, but the woofer is still messed up.

BTW - Even though you said you didn't want to know I have to tell... Pigfanatic speaks to my collection of pigs, I have hundreds and hundreds of them. :-)

Thanks again!

Old 04-26-01, 04:12 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good evening, Pigfanatic:

Thank you for enlightening this soul as to your handle. It is interesting to see how folks come up with these names.

As for the bad channel, it could be the Speaker Driver circuit or it could be a bad speaker. If the amplifier is putting out more wattage than the speaker is capable of handling, it will melt and short the wire windings in the voice coil. This will increase the current through the system and will blow the fuse.

I did not say that 2.5 amps will replace a 1.25 amp fuse. I alluded to the fact that it was permissible to use a 1.5 amp fuse. The difference is only 250 milliamps of current and not significant to cause any worry. Using a 2.5 amp fuse increases the system by 1,250 milliamps and can cause a melt-down in the electronic circuitry.

The adage of "1.5 amps is good so 2.5 amps must be great" does not apply in this case.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: