Connection options from tv to soundbar

Old 11-25-16, 11:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connection options from tv to soundbar

My tv has digital coax out and 3.5mm headphones out and my soundbar only has optical input and 3.5mm aux input.

Would you go with the 3.5mm and call it a day or buy a converter to take the digital coax and turn into optical? If so, can you recommend a good quality converter that isn't pricey? I found an 11 dollar one on monoprice. Digital Coaxial (RCA) to S/PDIF (Toslink) Digital Optical Audio Converter - Monoprice.com

Also, what's the usb port for on my soundbar? My tv also has one. Not sure if that's an option also?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-16, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator
I'm sort in the same situation on setting up my older 5.1 system (digital coax in) to my newer TV (optical out). The one on monoprice looks just like the ones from Staples and Walmart. The latter 2 cost a bit more but will ship to the store for free. Monoprice is cheaper but you pay shipping. It's a tossup. You'll see the exact same box on ebay and Amazon selling for over $20.

I doubt the USB is an option for an audio connection. Check your manuals.

Old 11-26-16, 12:06 AM
That's the converter you have? Are you happy with it?

Old 11-26-16, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
I don't have it yet but am getting ready to probably order one today. Likely I'll do WM or Staples since it would make returns much easier even if it costs a little more.

Old 11-26-16, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Ahhh, just looked again and Staples gets theirs fulfilled by Monoprice, so prob going with WM. Like I said, free ship to store and easy return. Might be a week or more.

Old 11-26-16, 05:52 PM
Cool. I just grabbed one off prime. They have easy returns too. I'll check back with you in a couple weeks. Thanks.

Old 12-02-16, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Got mine yesterday. Took about 5 min to hook it up and that included opening the [email protected]#$%^& package for the optical cable. Luckily I already had that cable and one for the coax output. Powered stuff down, plugged in cables, power to converter, then powered up devices.

Took a few seconds to link after I selected digital audio in on the amp as the source. I thought "great, the reviews were right, I have a dead one". Then it came in loud and clear. Noticed an immediate difference in sound quality. $17 well spent IMO.