HDMI spliter and 50 foot run

Old 12-12-16, 04:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
HDMI spliter and 50 foot run

Daughter has direct TV and wants to put TV in kitchen but wants to run it from bedroom tv. Box has a HDMI connector and I guess about 50 feet to kitchen. I see they sell splitters and cable but will it still have good reception.
Tks Don

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-16, 04:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 73
When I had DIRECTV the cable run into the attic from the dish about 15'-20' where there was a Tee with about 20' of cable going to the bed rm and 40'-50' of cable going to the living rm. My reception was always great. Don't know if coming from the box changes anything.

Old 12-12-16, 04:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes Received: 2
Not sure what you pay now for service, but I recently bought wifey a phone through AT&T and they bundled AT&T with DirecTV, dropped my DirecTV bill by $40 a month, came out to the house, installed a new dish, a master receiver and 3 sub receivers with all the wiring for free. May be something to look into. Each sub box operates separately from each other so you can watch different things in different rooms.

Old 12-12-16, 06:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Will have them call about price you additional box, what they orignally wanted to do was just use there bedroom box for both. I have done it when it was the regular cable but not with the HDMI ones.

Old 12-12-16, 12:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Justy got to the hose and it looks like 75 to 100 feet of cable will be needed.TV at oppsite ends of house.

Old 12-12-16, 01:10 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 210
I have three boxes serving 6 TV's.
The boxes are in the prime locations and the extra TV is a slave.
One box in the family room with the kitchen set slaved to it.
One box in the master bedroom with the office/sewing room slaved to it.
One box in the lower level bedroom and the basement TV slaved to it.

I connect an RG-6 cable from CH3 out on the box to the antenna input on the other TV.
The picture is not flawless HD TV but it's pretty darn good.

Old 12-13-16, 04:20 AM
50 feet is considered to be the maximum distance for HDMI. You can buy very expensive "premium" cables that might work at 100 feet, but it would be better to use PJ's method. Another option, although expensive, is to convert the HDMI to Cat5 at the box to run the distance, then convert it back at the far end.

Old 12-13-16, 12:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
We are checking with direct TV to see if they can get in on the 4 tv deal. If not has anybody tried the HDMI splinter and amplifier. This would be a slave off bedroom tv.

Old 12-13-16, 12:52 PM
The only problem I see in slaving off another room's TV is you have to go to that TV to change channels. May not be a problem with them.

Old 12-13-16, 03:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 73
Not necessarily, I bought a gizmo [technical term ] that had a receiver that faced the satellite box that allowed you to change the channel in another room. The box had to be on but only one TV needed to be on .... but if both were on they got the same channel.

Old 12-13-16, 03:51 PM
Aaah, learning things all the time. Thanks, Mark.

Old 12-14-16, 09:44 PM
You shouldn't go further than 50 feet with a non amplified HDMI cable. I regularly split the output of cable boxes to go to two TV's.

When I have to go further than 50 feet, I use an HDMI extender using Cat5e wire. I've used as much as a 75 foot HDMI cable but didn't feel comfortable doing it .... although it did work. It's just that with HDMI, you can waste a lot of time and money installing a long cable to wind up with it not working. Sometimes an HDMI cable will work with one piece of equipment but not another. Ya never know. So it pays to use the HDMI Cat 5e extender to avoid the risk.

also, keep in mind that using the extender and Cat 5e, that when the HDMI specifications change in the future you wont have to change the cable, just the extenders in order to upgrade to the next level of HDMI features.

Look at Vanco products. They have worked pretty good for me.

Old 12-14-16, 11:50 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 210
The FiOS boxes I use have a 1/8" jack for a remote IR eye that I mounted at the slave TV. I have extra remotes and each one controls its TV and the common box.

Name:  ir.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  5.7 KB

Old 12-15-16, 03:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good ideas will be back in Fl. around Christmas and will see about doing it than Son in law just had shoulder surgery, Was pretty sore than. May have to put off till later in year.