Pixelating

Old 12-12-16, 10:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pixelating

I have a 19" Sansui TV, almost 5 years old. Occasionally, the picture starts to look like a jig saw puzzle. I was told that the screen could be failing. I tightened some coaxial connections which seemed to help. There maybe other connections that I can't see. Walls & a ceiling may have been built after the cables were installed. Can a loose connection cause that or is it definitely the screen?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-16, 12:27 PM
I have seen this when the input signal is marginal, especially on digital cable or satellite. If you have a long run from where cable enters house or satellite receiver you may want to temporarily try the TV with shorter cable.

Old 12-12-16, 01:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
I have cable and always have that problem after it rains. I keep having the cable company come out to fix, I know problem is in neighborhood but I hope enough of these calls they will finially fix it. Pixilating usually has nothing to do with your TV almost always with singnal.

Old 12-12-16, 01:05 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 214
Pixilating is not really a screen problem. It's in the source before the TV or in the digital conversion stages. Reconnecting all the cables inside the TV is a good idea.

A bad screen will usually lose sections. Bars appear.

Old 12-13-16, 05:44 PM
I bought a new TV & nothing changed. The landlady has 3 TVs & no problems so it's a long cable from a 10 way splitter to me.. I doubt that she will break any walls to look for bad connections.

Old 12-13-16, 07:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have cable company come out and check it. TWC has 1 hour appointment windows. Don't know what company you have They also installed a booster on my system. I run 8 TV's. There was no charge for any of this.

Old 12-14-16, 07:11 AM
It's not cable, it's FIOS. The problem is inside the house. I want to exhaust all options before I ask the landlady to call them.

Old 12-15-16, 04:30 AM
I have 2 questions to help me help you.
How many tvs do you have in your place ?
Does the problem happen on all channels ?

Old 12-15-16, 04:45 AM
The landlady has 3 TVs & no problems. I have one TV. I don't watch a wide variety of channels.
It happens on all of them intermittently, less since I bought a new TV. I tried a high definition HBO channel & all was well. The set top box is a new Motorola HD DIP 7101 FIOS.

Old 12-16-16, 05:03 AM
When you first hooked up the new box , everything was still fine? Has to be the signal. If the hd channel worked fine, I think the incoming line is ok.

Old 12-16-16, 07:53 AM
No, everything was not fine with the new box. It was better but not perfect when I bought a new TV. Yesterday & so far today, all was well. If it's a bad signal, it's local. By that I mean, the coaxial cable between the splitter & my apartment. The landlady is not going to allow me to open walls & ceilings to trace it. There maybe a way to run a new line. As I said, it's been okay for the last 24 hrs.

Edit: The problem just started again.

Last edited by donoli2016; 12-16-16 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-17-16, 05:41 AM
Ok, so you had this problem before you got the new box ? How old is the cable in the walls. Does it happen to be RG59 ?

Old 12-17-16, 05:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try a amplifier in line from her splitter. Put it in rig.ht after it leaves spllitter. Will boost signal to your TV. This may help.

Old 12-17-16, 09:56 AM
I don't know hold old the cables are. They all have to be close to the same age. Only mine has a problem & I don't even know which is mine. Is it true that there are caps to close the unused connections on a splitter, to stop leakage?

Old 12-18-16, 05:08 AM
Replace the splitters, and make sure they have the proper bandwidth of 1gHz.

Pull the wall plates and check all the connectors. If there are screw-on type connectors, replace them with crimped or (preferably) compression connectors.

Terminators are supposed to be used on the unused ports.

Old 12-18-16, 02:41 PM
Radio Shack stopped selling terminator caps a year ago. I'll look somewhere else I can't do those other things. It's not my house.