Acquired non-US smart tv, anyone have any experiences with transformers?"

Old 01-06-17, 08:54 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Acquired non-US smart tv, anyone have any experiences with transformers?"

Scored the deal of a lifetime. Was installing some wires for a wealthy client remodeling his home (has a HUGE estate close to Kualoa, cost of Oahu) and he had a bunch of "old" TV's he was trying to get rid of.

I've been working for this guy for a few years now and I guess he felt in the holiday spirit and he gifted me a 4k 55 inch LED TV. Only issue he told me is, it's a 220V single voltage unit and I'm going to need a transformer. Anyone know of a good brand?

Old 01-06-17, 09:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
You would have to post the make and the full model number for more help.

Old 01-06-17, 10:08 AM
R
My apologies could've sworn I added it in! It's a....LG 55UH850V Smart 3D 4k Ultra HD HDR 55" LED TV.

Old 01-06-17, 10:17 AM
T
Received 197 Upvotes on 173 Posts
There is no simple answer. You need to do an internet search on "List of digital television deployments by country". If I interpret your location correctly, signals there are ATSC.

Old 01-07-17, 06:51 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Power is compatible without a transformer. According to the spec: 100~240Vac 50-60Hz. All you should need to do is swap out the power cable.

The cable and sat tuning capability is moot. All providers use set top boxes that plug in to HDMI ports, and this TV has three of them. There is also WIFI and LAN for streaming. To receive over-the-air broadcasts you could get a BluRay player with a tuner.

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 01-08-17 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-07-17, 10:19 AM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
Did you get the manual with the TV? I would download one on-line if I didn't.

Are you planning on using it as a "TV" or a monitor?

If the guy was really in "The Holiday Spirit" he would have given you a TV that worked .....

(typical rich guy, getting you to take away his garbage for free)

Old 01-09-17, 07:08 AM
L
First, I can't overstate how jealous I am. Anyways, try looking up ACUPWR. For something nice like that you don't want something cheap.

I've relocated to Moscow from the US and had a bunch of nice appliances (coffee maker, fridge, etc) that I wanted to bring with me. Bought a bunch of little transformers and nearly all have given out within a year or two. I currently have an ACUPWR for my fridge i got a few months ago but it's built heavier, if that's worth anything. Also, I've noticed it tends to run cooler than the other transformers.

I have three more cheap black ones running rn, and one is already giving me problems (won't start and it's louder than usual), so I'll probably replace it with an ACUPWR one once it dies on me. Or at least something else American made (haven't found another solid company).

Old 01-09-17, 07:19 AM
L
Actually just read rest of the messages. if it's 100-240v you actually have nothing to worry about. It's weird your guy would have used a transformer for that.

Old 01-11-17, 03:00 PM
E
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
On the link you posted, there is a LIVE CHAT. Ask them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: