Digital Transport Adapter

Old 01-14-17, 08:17 AM
Digital Transport Adapter

My local cable company recently upgraded from analog to digital, not all my HDTV's receive all the channels so I looked into getting a set top box. They sell used ones for $60 or rent for $2 a month, they use the Cisco DTA 170HD. The girl in the office told me I can buy one on line, so I did... bought a brand new for $30 on ebay and successfully installed and use it. I then bought a used one on ebay hooked it to my sons xbox one and it works great. The third one I bought from ebay was listed used but is essentially new. The seller listed it as a 170HD but it really is a 271HD, simular models maybe a newer version? The problem I have is it searches for channels when powered on but stalls at 95% and never finishes the setup. I can access a Diagnostic menu by holding the info button on the remote for 7 seconds but there is really no diag. that i can find only information. any help would be welcome. Maybe my DTA is bad or not compatible?Attachment 75781Attachment 75782

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-17, 05:52 AM
I would return it, filing a claim as needed. Do this before the deadline.

You should not have to go into diagnostics or get service manuals to use something you bought in normal fashion.

Old 01-15-17, 09:21 AM
I'm not really worried about returning it, for the price I paid ($20) its worth it for the HDMI cord, remote control and power supply alone. I would rather know why it doesn't work or learn to fix it

Old 01-15-17, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
Those have to be activated by your provider..... correct ?

I was reading at Time Warners site about DTA problems. Apparently they are designated to work in certain areas. One warning I read said that you need to check with the provider to see if that particular one will work on their system.

I doubt you could possibly fix it if it was broken.

Old 01-16-17, 03:28 AM
The first two I hooked up, there was no need to activate... they did an update restarted and finished the setup. One came from Texas, the other was brand new. My cable co. is not TW. Thanks for your help, I will contact contact zito media