Questions about 4K televison

Old 02-09-17, 07:29 AM
P
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Questions about 4K televison

Been out of the market for a while and not up to date with today's technologies...

I understand there is limited broadcasting in 4K but it is showing up here and there. I currently have FIOS and a few years old receiver from Marantz and plasma TV.
Thinking of getting new 4k capable TV Like the Sony XBR930D in 65inch.
Would I need to go direct from FIOS box to the TV or can I still go through my AVR and get 4k ? Does AVR has to be 4K-capable or does Direct Bypass function allows to simply pass the highest resolution (4K) signal when available ?
I have PS3 which I know is not 4K so that would stay connected to the AVR but I have seen some soccer games from England being transmitted in 4K and since I love to watch this competition - I am willing to jump into the 4K even with limited broadcasting....just need to know I will be able to take advantage of it.

thanks!

Old 02-09-17, 12:01 PM
A
Received 137 Votes on 126 Posts
What the A/V receiver does to the video is switch in and out the desired source and pass it straight through to the video output (the HDMI output for HDTV and 4K).

HDMI in (any resolution) comes out as HDMI (the same resolution). A 4K TV probably takes any resolution HDMI input and formats it as needed to fill the screen. Composite (yellow input jack) comes out the AVR as composite (yellow output jack) and so on. Almost all 4K TVs will accept composite and component video also and enlarge it to fit the screen. Some AVRs take one kind of input and cross feed it to another output for example component video in to HDMI out with appropriate conversion, but no receivers do all permutations.
But there can be electronic limitations to even a straight through path. The limit might be expressed as bandwidth (or as a resolution such as 1080i) for analog video and expressed as bitrate (or as a resolution such as 1080p) for digital video. Since some of the higher resolutions did not exist when some older AVRs were made, it is possible for the actual limit to be higher than published but if the actual limit is too low then 4K will not pass through.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-09-17 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-13-17, 06:06 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
4K is HDMI 2.0... AND HDCP 2.2!

Repeat, HDCP 2.2 (Copy protection.)

Sales people do not seem to know the difference. Search YouTube for HDCP 2.2 and learn all about this, that is the secret to 4k TV.

Most importantly, ALL HDMI connected devices (TV, Amp, HDMI switcher) MUST be HDCP 2.2 for 4k to work.

Furthermore, many TV's are sold with only one 4k HDCP 2.2 HDMI connection on the back. If you use the other HDMI connections, you will only get old HD TV, not 4k! (The sales people do not seem to know about this either!)

Note I returned two TV's which had only one 4k connection on the back (you have to buy them to see if they work, no labeling, etc.). Then found an LG TV which had three 4k @ 60Hz connections on the back.

And you can easily need all 3...

1. 4k DVD.
2. Android TV box like Minix U1.
3. PlayStation.

Old 02-13-17, 02:16 PM
P
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Thanks Bill - this is helpful already.

So looks like I would really need to only upgrade the Receiver and make sure my HDMI cables are 2.0 compliant.
I know this Sony TV I listed above has multiple inputs that are HDMI2.0
However, I would say that one would be sufficient as I would rather connect all the source to a AVR that is 4K ready so that I can control audio and video through the receiver.
AS long as the AVR is 4K it should have multiple inputs that are HDMI2.0 and 1 HDMI2.0 out for the TV.

How about the Set top box ? How are the Cable/ FIOS providers doing it ? I don't believe there are any STB with HDMI 2.0 outputs and yet they all advertise some limited 4K programming...so they must be able to deliver that.
I will check out Verizon FIOS website and see what they say and if my box is ready....

Old 02-14-17, 06:15 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Again, the HDMI connections MUST be HDCP 2.2 (and HDMI 2.0).

They are two different specifications!

It can be HDMI 2.0, but not HDCP 2.2. In that case 4K will not work.

More on this...
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-AimxsI...-hdcp-2-2.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: