tv won't turn on

Old 04-26-01, 03:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi- my tv seems to have died on me. It's a 'KTV', about 6 years old, model 19TEC, 19" inch. When turned on it played for a couple seconds, then went black. Afterwards I turned it on, but the picture only lasted a second before turning into a shrinking color wheel, and going dark. Then it could be clicked on, but showed no picture. Now it won't even turn on. Any hope?

Old 04-26-01, 03:25 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Afternoon, bobjc:

While I am not familiar with your brand of television set (I assume it is something "off shore"), the problem is symtomatic of a failing high voltage circuit.

Television picture tubes require a voltage between 25-45,000 volts to cause the picture to light up and display all those marvelous pictures. This same high voltage circuit develops additional voltages to cause the picture to display both horizontally and vertically. The significant thing you said was the picture collapsing with a circular color pattern. The high voltage is occurring naturally and then shutting down gradually.

My bet is you have a shorted HV Quadrupler Module in the set. The high voltage circuit is running into a dead short and ceases to function. The high voltage has to "bleed off" on the picture tube.

Costs to repair? Probably more than the set is worth. It can be repaired but it will cost you about the same as buying a new TV set. Next time think Sharp, Sony, or Mitsubishi for quality engineering and longevity.

Smokey

Old 04-26-01, 09:13 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool KTV

I think but not sure that KTV was sold by Kmart and has an RCA chassis. But for a set that old tie it to the rope that holds the fishing boat in place... KTV is really not worth repair. Sorry but they were really an inexpensive set, saw allot of them here in the midwest.

Old 04-27-01, 04:54 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Mike:
I did a "rethink" on this failure and it probably is not the high voltage module. Because of the circular color pattern, the electron guns are still painting a picture on the screen of the picture tube. What is happening is the filaments are dying out on the picture tube.

I think the first place to look is perhaps a bad solder connection or ground connection to the picture tube filaments.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: