Running DirecTV around home

Old 03-04-17, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running DirecTV around home

Looking for suggestions...

We have 2 direcTV boxes in our home, we mainly use them for our living room and bedroom. I have a TV in our Kitchen, Garage and upstairs room I would like to possibly get cable to as well without having to buy another box. I understand they will have to have the same channel on but I would just like to be able to watch TV at all of these without going downstairs and unplugging the HDMI cables and switching them every time.

I have 100 ft of COAX running to the garage that I have been connecting to the SWIM so I can tanke the cable box out there so I can enjoy HD TV out in my bar on the weekends, but this is kind of a pain. There are also 2 cat 5e cables ran out there, one connected to a wireless router if that helps at all.

The biggest spots I would like to have HD signal to are the garage and Kitchen. I also have RF remotes.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-17, 12:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You may want to check with DirecTV. When I upgraded wifeys AT&T phone, they asked if I was a DirecTV customer. They checked and my current DirecTV account is in my name. Since wifey's phone is in her name, they canceled my DirecTV and opened up an account in her name, came to the house and installed (free) a "mother" unit in the living room and 4 satellite units throughout the house, so we have individual access to each TV. The kicker was I was paying over $100 per month for the original service. They reduced by DirecTV bill to $70 because I "bundled" with AT&T.

Just information for digesting.

Old 03-05-17, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There's a new RF modulator set out there that will send 1080P HDMI signals over a standard RG6 coax. I don't know if it would be able to send it over the existing SWiM cables without causing problems, but it is a very versatile system. You can set up two transmitters and two receivers on the same cable with splitters, and change the channel on the receiver to "tune in" the box you want to watch on either TV (so you're not stuck with only one source in case someone is watching it when you want to go out to the garage).

Transmitter: Stellar Labs HDMI over Coax Cable - RF - Frequency Agile Transmitter | 33-11970 (3311970) | Stellar Labs
Receiver: Stellar Labs HDMI over Coax Cable - RF - Frequency Agile Receiver | 33-11975 (3311975) | Stellar Labs

Another option is this - the first "affordable" ATSC modulator on the market. I use the term "affordable" loosely because it is still $300 per channel, but that is far less than the $1500-2000 per channel you'll pay for any other modulator. This can turn the HDMI signal from your receiver into an ATSC signal that can be fed through RG6 coax and picked up by any TV with a digital tuner.

Stellar Labs High Definition ATSC RF Modulator - Frequency Agile - HDMI Input | 33-11980 (331980) | MCM Electronics | 33-11980 (3311980) | Stellar Labs