Reciever question - Audio from tv?

Old 03-24-17, 02:45 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reciever question - Audio from tv?

I recently installed a home theater receiver. An HDMI cord runs from the TV to the receiver. Hooked up to the receiver is the verizon set top box and my bluray player. I can get audio from verizon and the bluray, but my television is a smart tv so it has apps for Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. I cannot get audio for these apps. What do I need to do? Do I need to connect another HDMI cable from the television to perhaps the AUX connector of the receiver? Should the TV have an "output" HDMI that would run to the receiver?

Similarly, if I purchase a fire stick and plug that into the USB port of the television, how would I get audio from the receiver?

Thanks!

Old 03-24-17, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
The TV will not usually have an HDMI output.
You'd use a digital or optical output connection to the receiver for audio.

Old 03-24-17, 03:38 PM
I
Would that decrease the quality since it's digital or optical as opposed to HDMI? Right now I'm using the Blu-Ray for Netflix but like the interface better on the app on the Smart TV.

Old 03-24-17, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
No... the audio is digital and would be the same quality.

Old 03-25-17, 06:34 PM
T
The TV will not usually have an HDMI output.
If the TV and receiver are both capable (it's pretty much standard on newer devices), HDMI 1.4 incorporates a signal called the "Audio Return Channel (ARC) that sends digital audio back up the HDMI cable. It's very useful for soundbars that usually only have one or two HDMI ports. Basically you use a specific input on the TV (it will be labeled ARC) to connect to the output of the receiver, make sure ARC/HDMI-CEC is enabled and configured on both, then you switch to a specific input on the receiver to get the TV audio.

As you said it's the same signal, just one less cable.

if I purchase a fire stick and plug that into the USB port of the television
Fire Sticks plug into HDMI, not USB - although you can use the TV's USB port to provide power to the stick rather than having to use the wall wart. The only downside to this is that some TVs turn off the USB power when you turn them off, which would mean you have to wait for the stick to boot up every time. Now that said, you can either plug it directly into an HDMI on the TV (and its audio will feed back to the receiver via the ARC), or into an input on the receiver.

What's the brands/model numbers of the TV and receiver?

Last edited by taz420; 03-25-17 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-06-17, 03:28 PM
I
Hi Taz

Sorry lost track of this thread. So I checked and yes I have the ARC set up on both the tv and receiver. Could you give me some more information on that? Will I have two HDMI cords: the one that is currently in place between the receiver and tv and a new one that will go into arc input on receiver and arc input on tv?

Old 04-06-17, 09:27 PM
T
No, it will be just one HDMI cable - that's the whole point of ARC, it uses a single HDMI cable to send audio both ways. It has to be plugged into the receiver output and a specific input on the TV. How to set it up to make it work depends on what TV/receiver you have. It involves changing some settings on both, and selecting a specific input on the receiver when you want it to play Netflix, but I'd need to know the brand/model numbers of both to help you further.

Old 04-14-17, 04:01 PM
I
Receiver is a Yamaha RX-V379
TV is Samsung UN50H6350AFXZA

Old 04-14-17, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Yamaha manual.. RX-V379 - Yamaha Downloads United States

Scroll down and select..... RX-V379 Owner's Manual

Pages 70-71 discuss the ARC audio system

Your TV does have an ARC HDMI input.

Name:  arc.JPG
Views: 350
Size:  24.8 KB

Old 04-14-17, 04:59 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Connect the audio RCA jacks from the set top box to the receiver. Lower the TV sound to zero. That's what I do. Audio from all devices go through the receiver.

Old 04-14-17, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
That is not HD audio and that doesn't allow for audio to be processed from his "smart TV" apps.

Old 04-15-17, 07:31 AM
I
Thanks! I'll try out the ARC.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: