Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

S-Video to HD (RGB)???

NJ

05-02-17, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)  
S-Video to HD (RGB)???

My new TV has the availability for very few inputs.

I have an SVideo cable coming from the video card on the (stand alone) computer that runs my security cams. Old TV had an SVideo input, new one does not.

I obtained an adapter (SVideo-to-RCA) and plugged it into the video-in on the component input row for an HD DVD/BluRay but I only get a black-and-white, grainy view of the security cams.

Any ideas how I can go SVideo from computer to TV's Component input?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

05-02-17, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)  
You won't be able to get a true HD signal from a standard def signal but you can convert it to something your new TV can use. Note that RCA is a connector type and does not tell what connection method you are using. RCA jacks/connectors are used for composite video, component video and left and right audio.

You said you plugged your converter into the "component input row". That makes me suspect you are not using a component connection and may have just plugged in one cable (composite video) for the video. Are you using composite for your video which only has one video cable? Component has three cables that carry the video signal. Plugging a single composite video source into one of the three jacks for component video will give you a "bad" picture.

Super Moderator

AZ

05-02-17, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)  
As cheap as video cards are, why not just replace it with one that has multiple outputs? S-video is pretty much a dinosaur. Your TV probably has HDMI and possibly DVI (also on it's way out)?

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

NJ

05-02-17, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Yes, I am using just one video cable. I have it plugged into the input marked "Video" (circled in yellow).

The picture is B&W and poor quality.

Note, the primary HDMI input is taken by the STB and the second HDMI input carries the Blu-Ray player. So, I feel like I kinda have no choice but to somehow use the "component row."

The "ANT IN" coax input is not being used, is that a possibility?

How should I be doing this? TIA!!

NJ

05-02-17, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Well, there's cracking the computer and the replacing the card -- and I'd have to pull about 100 feet of new cable to replace the SVid -- big PITA, but do-able. I'd rather not if I don't HAVE to.

MAF, it's so much of a PITA that I'd probably just stay with the B&W low res picture I presently have.

I appreciate your response, thanks.

Group Moderator

NJ

05-02-17, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)  
With that type of setup.... you may have to go in to the TV "settings" and select A/V in.
There may be a selection for component or A/V.

~ Pete ~

NJ

05-02-17, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)  
^^THIS!!^^

Yes Pjamx!! It was indeed the setting!!

Changed it to A/V In and voila! Color and clarity!!

I wish I could do that for my brain!!

RESOLVED! Thanks to all for your responses, much appreciated!!

Super Moderator

AZ

05-02-17, 03:43 PM   #8 (permalink)  
Pete gets a cookie! Never occurred to me, mine have always automatically adjusted to composite or component.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

NJ

05-03-17, 06:41 AM   #9 (permalink)  
Well, in all fairness @Gunguy45, it's probably hard to imagine someone as clueless as I am here.

This is my first "Smart TV" -- there are many brand new features and protocols that I've never seen before.

I've waited a loooong to buy a "modern" TV because my old 37" Song Trinitron Wega just wouldn't quit. It still hasn't, I finally gave it away.

But again, thanks everyone for your responses -- this is a great website that has helped me greatly on many occasions.

Search this Thread