What can I use to improve my TV's sound

Old 07-03-17, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
What can I use to improve my TV's sound

We have a 32" Samsung TV in our kitchen that we watch while eating. While the TV is fine, the audio is not. I believe it is because it is mounted to a post and does not have the wall to bounce the sound forward and just it just tends to sound "tinny".

The TV does not have any audio outputs, only 2 HDMI inputs, and composite and audio input. We only do OTA and streaming through a Roku 3 so we do not have any box to connect a receiver to, but to be honest I am not sure I want a receiver. This is a kitchen and we do not want a bunch of components lying around. I have been looking, but I am not sure what I need to look for. Is there some kind of box I can run my OTA cable into, change the channels, connect my Roku to via HDMI, and has an audio output I could run to some basic speakers, even if they are only computer speakers? Output should also be HDMI. That is not asking a lot, is it?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-17, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 346 Votes on 324 Posts
Usually all TV's have an audio output. Some may use a 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo jack for external speakers or headphones. On some TV's when you plug into that jack it disconnects the internal speakers.

Old 07-03-17, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
A 3.5mm jack would be great as I could just connect some computer speakers, but I have searched all over and I see no audio output. It is Samsung model: UN32D4005BD

Maybe I could solder one in? Could I just tap off the wires going to the speakers in the TV?

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 07-03-17 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-03-17, 08:42 PM
Group Moderator
There are OTA boxes that have audio and video output but no HDMI so there won't be any hi def from OTA signals.

If you had multiple HDMI signals going in.... you could send them thru a switch box that stripped off the audio. Not of much help in your case.

monoprice/Product/?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557

Time to move that TV to the playroom.

You should be able to tap onto the speaker wiring. If you do that.... check from each speaker wire to case ground. Make sure there is no DC voltage.

Old 07-03-17, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow...that is an old no frills model.

I had a similar issue with my garage TV, a Spectre 32" with pretty crappy sound, plus it was kind of under powered at 10W per channel. Almost any ambient noise drowned it out. Yours is only 5W /channel, but inside so it really should be loud enough.

I think if you look you will find that your speakers actually fire down, not back. That's the way mine were also. I found a very functional, though not exactly elegant solution. If yours also fire down continue reading. If not, they often have some very good open box deals at WM. I just got a new 40" for the garage for $188 as well as a soundbar for $38. Old TV is now in the spare bedroom after I fabricated a tabletop stand for it (also an open box buy 2 1/2 yrs ago, no stand...$98)

First buy some mushrooms. They'll come in an non-ventilated fiber-like black plastic 1/2 box. DON"T get the type in the blue box, they may work, but would look tacky(er).

Size of the box is determined by size of your speaker openings. Normally a 16oz box will cover one speaker and with judicious cutting a 32oz might work for both.

Cut out one side and part of the bottom leaving a tab for attachment. Trim the uncut sides at an angle to get a good fit on the bottom of the TV with the tab extending up the back. Tape the tab and part of the box to the back of the TV. Voila! You have now made directional speakers ducts and you listening experience should be much better after adjusting equalizer settings. Pictures below installed on the 40" TV, at least temporarily. Sorry about the quality.Name:  19718390_10155421829562410_1316502066_o.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  19718621_10155421829347410_3499308_o.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  20.7 KB

Name:  19720186_10155421828332410_1168309184_o.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  13.2 KB

I know it's pretty crazy and cheap looking. A better job could probably be done on attachment, but hey, it works just fine in my garage. And from the front people thought it was a purchased product til I explained. It easily increases the sound level by 50% and because of the material, doesn't give it an odd tinny sound like metal would nor absorb it too much like I think wood might. Plus...it was CHEEEEEAP.

Experiment with settings to find out what works best.

Old 07-04-17, 05:23 AM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
First, poke around in the sound menu,
I've found that newer TV's will have way too many added effects
mode, equializer, SRS, sound levelling, that can mess up the sound.
There's usually a reset that turns all the modification off, try that first.

If the mushroom speaker enclosure doens't work,
then you can get an adapter box that passes the HDMI signal through,
but has left & right RCA jacks for easier sound output.

I'd consider usb powered computer speakers, (that TV model has a usb connection)
and wire the inputs to the old speakers. Your inputs would be at speaker-volume rather than line-in-volume, but, that's a fairly common kludge fix.

Old 07-04-17, 06:41 AM
Group Moderator
Not and old TV, not definitely a no frills TV.

I think I have to go by some mushrooms and give that a try with some setting adjustments. Speakers are pointing down. If it works I can have my buddy 3D print some nicer looking ones.

I am also looking into maybe upgrading our Tivo and then getting a Tivo Mini for the kitchen. The Tivo Mini appears to have a A/V out 3.5mm port but I am trying to determine is I can connect some computer speakers directly to to that.

Old 07-04-17, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
I believe the USB port is only active to import.

Old 07-04-17, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
I checked and the USB port will charge my phone when the TV is on so that might be helpful. I am thinking I might try one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2AA4XI82SDV30 and connect it to our Bose wave radio Aux. It appears that the power input is a 5 vdc USB input so maybe I can run it off the TV USB, but if not I can just use the power adapter. This will work when watching the Roku but not on the TV which I am not sure is a big deal.

Old 07-10-17, 01:48 PM
Tolyn Ironhand I just bought one of those boxes myself as the audio coming into our television wasn't great. I also bought an HDMI cable to connect to the television from the device and an rca type audio cable. I think it should work fine with your Roku and it should work fine with the new blu ray player I bought too. Here is what I bought and they are virtually identical to each other only a different brand https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Yours is at a better price too than mine.

Old 07-10-17, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks Hedge! I did end up buying the one I have in my post (#9) which is very similar to yours. It is working quite well and have hooked to the AUX of our Bose Wave radio. It has made a BIG difference. Now, I just need to find a way to get the OTA stations to pass through the little magic box so they will sound just as good.

I did also try the mushroom box trick from GunGuy and it did help the direction, but not so much on the sound.

Old 07-10-17, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
The roku 3 has the headphone jack on the side of the remote.. I would of just plugged a speaker set to that.

As far as OTA I would assume a cheap tuner box.

But I would of just bought a cheap vizio TV and be done with it..

I have 6 vizios. 4 in home and 2 in camper..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-D-S...hn-E0/48194203

But with todays TV,s and being im cheap I would probably do with the $128 buck element...

https://smedia3.webcollage.net/8107c...pplication/pdf

Old 07-10-17, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator
The 40" Element is what I used as a garage replacement, Mike. Have to say though, the headphone out does not work very well for a speaker connection. Not nearly as much volume and range (I think) as an actual audio connection, either Bluetooth, optical, coax, or line level. It seems to vary far to much from high to low levels. I bought the soundbar at the same time and will probably not be using it as designed, since the Element has no audio out's, much like TI's TV. My mushroom boxes seem like the best solution out there since I can't really hear the finer points anyway except when it's very quiet. Very few races are on at 10 PM at night, so I'm good.

Soundbar does work just fine as a speaker for my tablet though. Hey, it was only $38!

Old 07-11-17, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
since the Element has no audio out's, much like TI's TV.
It has two. Head phone jack, and a digital coaxial out.. Thats what I see anyway in the manual..

Cheap at walmart..

Old 07-11-17, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
I didn't mean the one you talked about, meant the one I bought. Which actually does have an optical out I realized, I just didn't feel like spending $12 on a cable when I'm sure I've got one here...somewhere. I see the one you linked has a Coax digital out instead.

Don't need it after all as I said. Mushroom boxes work fine...lol.

The headphone out still doesn't work well as a straight audio out though...at least not on mine. Very low volume. Probably an impedance mismatch. May be different with the PC type speakers?