How to get surround sound working with my new Sony XBR65X850E

Old 07-04-17, 05:49 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to get surround sound working with my new Sony XBR65X850E

Hi, I just purchased a Sony XBR65X850E and am having trouble getting my Pioneer Elite VSX-50 hooked up to it.

I have the following components to consider in this hookup:
1) XBR65X850E Sony TV
2) Pioneer Elite VSX-50 receiver
3) Amazon firestick
4) Sonos system (this goes directly to the receiver & works ok)

The Pioneer receiver has several HDMI In-ports that I can use and 1 HDMI out that I can use going to the TV, so perhaps this is my only solution, however, the Sony TV has 5 unlabeled HDMI ports and a very easy to use remote. The problem with using the TV HDMI ports is that there is 1 small audio "digital" Out jack-port. I bought a cable that would fit it, and the other end of the cable is split into 2 RC type jacks that fits the receiver. I can't seem to get any sound from the receiver when viewing anything on the TV.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-17, 07:45 AM
H
Received 108 Votes on 94 Posts
Well, lots of possible connections.

The receiver looks like it has 3 digital inputs, you'll probably have to search around to figure out
which input is active, and make sure it's set to a format that the receiver understands.

The TV looks like it only deals with Dolby digital formats, so you'll need to make sure the receiver isn't expecting non-Dolby DTS

Old 07-04-17, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,180 Votes on 1,093 Posts
Your sources go to the Pioneer first and then one HDMI cable to the TV.
The Pioneer will process the surround sounds.

If you're set on using the HDMI inputs on the TV then you can send digital audio to the Pioneer for processing. The TV has a Digital Audio output on it.

Old 07-06-17, 05:15 AM
O
Where to plug in the jack from the TV to the reciever?

Yes, I know about the digital out port on the TV, my problem is that I can't get the sound out of the receiver. I've attached a pic of the back of the receiver for reference.

Another post here suggested that I need to make sure the receiver isn't expecting non-Dolby DTS. That could be true, but I have no idea how to do that.

Thanks

B

Attached Images  
Old 07-06-17, 10:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,180 Votes on 1,093 Posts
If you'd like to try out the digital audio link from the TV. That link is digital audio.... not standard audio. It's an encoded L and R audio stream.

Remove the Y from the cable you bought. Plug that cable directly into the "COAXIAL IN" jack which is in the top row.... right side....when looking at the back. Then you have to go in and assign the Coaxial In jack. It looks like it may be pre-assigned to DVD so put the receiver in the DVD mode and see if that yields audio.

(you could fly me down there for vacation and I could do a full setup for you)

Old 07-13-17, 02:50 PM
O
I'm not sure what you meant me to do with the Y-cable, but I bought a digital cable 3.5mm to a RC female that fits onto the Coaxial in (DVR) assignable on the back of the receiver. I set the receiver to DVD and no sound. I'm happy with all my equipment going to the HDMI-in's on the TV because the remote is so user friendly, if only I can get sound from my receiver instead of the TV. I've attached the Pioneer receiver manual for your review if you need it.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/S...ions051911.pdf

Thanks very much. (ps............it's 9-deg & 85% humidity right now)

Old 07-26-17, 05:04 AM
O
Solution: I connected an Optical Cable between the two units and it finally works great.

Old 07-26-17, 10:55 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
As others have eluded to, you need to assign what audio type is being used by a particular input. For example, your DVD input must default to optical, which is why you are now getting sound. You should be able to change the DVD audio to analog and get audio from your RCA cables. Regardless, optical is best, so it sounds like you are set. You'll want to know this for when you connect other devices though. Instructions begin on page 26 of the manual ("The Input Setup Menu"). Looks like DVD defaults to coax-1, so you must have inadvertently changed the input to optical, or else you wouldn't be getting sound.