Replace battery in B&N Nook e-reader - FAIL

Old 07-07-17, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace battery in B&N Nook e-reader - FAIL

My Old Nook e-reader's original battery is only good for about 5 hours. I ordered a replacement battery and installed it. It would not start the Nook even after being plugged into the wall charger for 3 hours (the charging indicator light was on).
I removed the replacement battery and replaced the original into the Nook and it worked. So, I think Defective Replacement battery.
Let me say that the replacement was EXACTLY like the original - 3.7VDC=1250mAh/4.6Wh
So, the seller sent me another battery and the same story -- it wouldn't power up the e-reader and unlike the previous replacement, the charging indicator light did not light indicating it was charging. Then I put the original battery back in and it works fine.
Then I take the two batteries over to Batteries Plus to have them checked. They both checked out as Good.
Does anybody have any idea what's going on?
Thought I'd ask before I return the replacements.
Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-17, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
I can't answer your question directly. I know many laptops use proprietary batteries and general purpose subs wont work.

I was reading on barnes and noble nook support. There were many battery complaints but none matched yours exactly. You may want to read thru then to see if they are any help.

Old 07-07-17, 09:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Try it with the battery in place and the charger connected. If it boots unplug the charger and see if it continues to work.

Probably not relevant but I have an old Nook Color and sometimes it just won't boot in the normal manner. From posts in the B&N forum I read it took a combination of buttons such as holding down the start button and "N" button while pressing the volume button for 10 seconds. Actually never could remember the exact button sequence so this kept pressing everything till it started to boot.

Old 07-08-17, 07:08 PM
Thanks guys

I've been digging around the web and must conclude that I'm that one in a million weirdos. There have been large quantities of these batteries sold and there are quite a few Reviews and Very few are complaining or mentioning problems with the install.
Think I'll just return to seller and forget my good ole Nook. Movin on
Thanks for your thoughts.
Jim

Old 07-08-17, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Still have my old Color Nook. First thing I did was root it so I could use it for Amazon and other Android apps. Even though it was used it still runs fine. However when I upgraded I upgraded to a brand name 7" tablet. I suggest you consider the same. A lot more versatile than a un-rooted Nook and you can still read you Nook Ebooks with the Nook Android App.

Did you try booting your Nook with the charger plugged in? If it boots then you can be pretty sure it is the battery.

Last resort you could also try resetting your Nook back to the factory install. 6 Ways to Reset a Nook - wikiHow

Old 07-08-17, 09:55 PM
I don't understand what "rooted" means. And, that would not solve the problem with my Nook since it is a power problem, not a software problem.
This is my wife's e-reader and I'd really like to solve the problem since she shakes so bad that a touch screen is just useless for her. I got her a 10" tablet a couple of years ago and it was so pathetic to watch her try to touch it in the right place with finger going the right direction. Made me want to cry. This old (first edition?) Nook uses buttons on the edge of the device for page turning and works really well for her. I don't think any of the newer e-readers have that feature.
Yes, I have tried to boot this old Nook while plugged into the charger AND I have reset it to factory settings but the replacement power source just will not connect.
thanks anyhow........

Old 07-08-17, 11:02 PM
Group Moderator
Just to be clear I wasn't suggesting rooting it. That wouldn't help you. Don't know if it would help her but I have always used a stylus. Just tested the latest Nook for Android and it just takes a swipe or tap on the side to change pages. Was that how it worked on the tablet she had trouble with?

You might also check out using a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard maybe that would work better for her.

If she really likes to read a lot she should check out Amazon unlimited. Less than $10 a month. It has thousands of books that you can check out for just the monthly charge. No limit on how many books a month for that $10.